Visiting Maldives during Ramadan / Independence Day - Help!

Hi there. I'm new to the forum. I'm from the USA (Michigan) but I live in Thailand with my Thai husband.

We are visiting the Maldives next month (July 25 - August 1) and I realized after I booked our trip that it will be during Ramadan.

Are most local businesses (restaurants, shops, etc.) closed during Ramadan?

We would like to explore Male and visit local teashops for "short eats" as well as visit the Mosques. Will restaurants be closed for Ramadan? Will we be able to visit Mosques as tourists during Ramadan?

Also, I read that July 26th is Independence Day. Are there any special festivities or events for Independence Day?

We are staying at a small guest house (UI Inn on Hulhumale) for the first part of our stay and then at the Sheraton Full Moon Resort the last few nights.

Any and all help, info, and suggestions will be much appreciated!

TIA!

Hi,

During day time all the local teashops would be shut, however from 6pm all the shops will open you will be able to try in the evenings. It will be quite different atmosphere during ramadan.. even in the evenings....

yes you would be able to visit the Mosques, but it will be very busy at all times, my suggestion would be to try before 10:30 am, this is the only time when it will less busy

there is no longer much celebrations for independence day, we used to have Parades and stuff but its all vanished..

you will love SHeraton , i have worked there... i will suggest that you try to find a hotel from maafushi for this period, you might not enjoy Hulhumale during these times...

have fun

mooch wrote:

Hi,

i will suggest that you try to find a hotel from maafushi for this period, you might not enjoy Hulhumale during these times...

have fun

thank you so much for your response. why do you say that we might not enjoy Hulhumale during Ramadan?

check with your hotel, if they serve you in the hotel at day time since all the restaurants will be closed, thn it will be fine, you can eat in your room and enjoy the calm beach of hulumale early morning or at sunset or even in the daytime if you like to go out in sun. Huumale is peaceful as compared to Male and beach is good for a swim or relaxation.

restaurants will be closed for the time of fasting and moch said they open around 6pm till late night.

its very quiet during these times and you may find it a bit boring...