Life and Work in Maldives for a European person

Hi all, I know this has been discussed before but I am a person living in the rainy Northern Ireland, UK and would love to have a year-two break and come over to Maldives to work in a resort hotel.

I know they say that accommodation and food are free once being a hotel employee but what do the conditions look like? Let's say if you work in a reception desk or is a GRO or something. What are the salaries are? Is it possible to save some money? What the stuff is like? How many people do share a room?

I live in the UK and there many nationalities here, which is the reason I am so used to it. But are the locals friendly? Is it possible to meet descent people in the resort?

Guys, if anyone has any experience about your work in Maldives, let me know!

Thanks a million :)

Lenina

Hi Lenina,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will share their expat experiences with you very soon.

Wish you good luck
Christine

hi lenina,

im vicky, im living in London and im interesting aswell to go to Maldives this year, i would like to know when are u going there, im thinking in find room for share and work in a resort...

:)thanks
bye bye

Lenina wrote:

Hi all, I know this has been discussed before but I am a person living in the rainy Northern Ireland, UK and would love to have a year-two break and come over to Maldives to work in a resort hotel.

I know they say that accommodation and food are free once being a hotel employee but what do the conditions look like? Let's say if you work in a reception desk or is a GRO or something. What are the salaries are? Is it possible to save some money? What the stuff is like? How many people do share a room?

I live in the UK and there many nationalities here, which is the reason I am so used to it. But are the locals friendly? Is it possible to meet descent people in the resort?

Guys, if anyone has any experience about your work in Maldives, let me know!

Thanks a million :)

Lenina

Hi I lived in Maldives for 4 months, a friend lived there and I met a couple in Malaysia who had worked on a resort.

The best way if thinking of it is "why do you want to go to jail for two years?" lol

It's been described as a living he'll to just plain boring! The couple I met couldn't take it after 9 months. They quit with no other job to go to and went to Malaysia to find work. My friend just thinks it's boring - he lived on Male' like I did. I was married to a local girl AND she finds Maldives boring! Half of young maldivians are overseas as they think it's dull. (moderated)

There is nothing to do. It's gret for a 1 week holiday! Ok actually I was ok there as had family around and was working as a lecturer. If I was 60 I would have been ok. But no drinking allowed for me :-( it's a fish bowl and Male can be walked around in 30 mins. On a tourist island? Nightmare!

Two years on a resort would be like a prison sentence. Don't do it!

Try Thailand instead!

Hello Nemodot,

What a negative point of view :/ !!

Yud wrote:

Hello Nemodot,

What a negative point of view :/ !!

Well I forget a diving instructor friend was there fir 6 months and as the diving is lovely she liked it for that.

But honestly it isn't for young Europeans. And I mean under 50. The uninhabited islands (tourist islands) are just plain dull after 2 weeks. I enjoyed learning about the culture, travelling in dhonis, the food (hot as in hot!!) the celebrations and having a traditional Maldivian wedding. But on island as a works with no family? As I said a couple I met couldn't take 9 months. And they were Austrian so not big city types either. Neither am I.

So lovely people, nice food, but only for a short while. And tourist island work isn't really meeting the locals. Btw onlyocal men are allowed to work in tourist resorts. A few  westerners do marry and settle and like it. I saw a few in the grande mosque. But only a few! Most expats are Indian. And westerners tend to be vgo types. So very young and only there a while.

Malaysia, Thailand, Sri Lanka and Indonesia are far more interesting to be in!

Hi Nemodot,

Thanks a lot for your sincere opinion. It's great to hear the truth from somewhere who actually was there! I would be 100% sure if the way of life was similar to the European one. Why would I have to be told not to have a glass of wine or go out if I want to? That seems weird but, on the other side, it's for a year only and who knows, it may be quite sunny and relaxing comparing to the rats' race here.

Cheers,

Lenina

Hi letina please note that when they say accom and food they don't mean a chalet for tourists! They mean a bunk bed in a shared room for workers! there isn't nothing to do when there! Have a look at Thailand fir example.

Interesting viewpoint and well worth taking on board.

I myself probably wouldn't see boredom as an option.

As long as have the internet I can work and access books etc.

I'm considering moving to the Maldives, currently a UK-expat living in Egypt, but I'm not sure yet about costs of living.

Accommodation in the tourist resorts seems prohibitively expensive, and some comments I've read about Male don't endear me to it.

I hope to be visiting in a few weeks to see if it suits me.

Is it possible to get simple accommodation on the islands (1 bed apt/shack with hot water and electric) and USB internet sticks?

Lee

Hi y'all! Thanks for the honest review of life as an expat there in the Maldives. I'm new to this forum and was just given a job offer to work at a hospital in Addu. Is that far from Male? Are there many people working/living there? And could you also tell me how the cost of living is? The salary the hospital offered me is very modest, but I was told that I would be given free accomodations and a food allowance. As for entertainment, is there really nothing to do? Im in my early 30s, so Iv gotten over the whole bar scene but I would enjoy a little karaoke now and then (hey, I'm Filipino, karaoke is in our blood!) I'm really tempted to go because I love going to the beach and in pictures the beaches seem soooo gorgeous there! Hope to get a reply soon, I have till weeks end to give the hospital my reply. Thanks in advance to those who answer! :)

additional question: would anyone know how much it costs to go scuba diving there? without having you own gear? im padi certified but i dont have my own vest&other gear, just fins and snorkel.Thanks again! :)

I have just returned from only 2 months of what I thought would be my dream job.
I had a really awesome job  - business development manageer and was paid really well - $2500 but I couldn't agree more with Nemodot that unfortunately it was like living in jail.
Perhaps I am too old for this type of lifestyle but I missed my freedom and quality of life.
I really expected everyone to be friendly and chilled.  I'm not scared of hard work but I also believe in enjoying one's life to the fullest.  My superior - also an expat - but an indian lady made my life hell. I had to do what she did and when she did it.  She tried to control me.  She didn't enjoy the sun and her lifestyle consisted of working, gossiping, eating and sleeping - that's it!  I was so happy when she went away for 2 weeks as I snorkelled for the first time and took walks on the beach instead of sitting in the terrible, smelly staff canteen with her. I went to the disco for the first time but the few staff memebers that were there sat in their "click". I am a positive person by nature but the food catered mainly for the Maldivian palette, I like spicy but this was so hot and no variety. There were 2 "western" dishes but only on a first come, first serve basis and usually laden in butter.  Hardly any fish as I expected and only left over salads from guest restaurants.  THe cakes and desserts and fruit salad were great but not healthy.
The resorts work very much on a grade system and status.  If you are executive staff then you can eat in guests restaurants.  No idea how the grading works as my assistant was executive grade but I wasn't!
Luckily I had my own room but most people have to share and if you are on grade c or lower and esp a male, the living conditions are really bad - share with up to 14 people and 1 shower!
THe biggest dissapointment for me was the lack of friendlines especially from the ex-pats who thought they were better then everyone else.  THey didn't even greet a person.  THe Maldivians are lovely but between them they are constantly fighting for career advancement and status.  3 guys wanted my job and I felt so bad as I had come in and they had been loyal to company for years and they could advance into doing my job and deserved to.  Anyway the good news, is that they are now.
THe gossiping is rife - I hated it.  Especially from my superior who even to my face was racial prejudice towards me.  She even slated her best friend to me - so ugly and unneccessary and sad.

Trying to get things done was also very tiring.  People are just so slack.  It was such a mission trying to open a bank account.  No one helped me and when I got there with all my forms (after taking a day off work) I couldn't open it as there was a signature missing on my application form - in the block "referred by" which noone had advised me of. After sorting that out - another precious day off to collect my bank card and I was told I couldn't collect it as they did not process it due to insufficient funds but when I opened account and applied for card at same time they asked for just $10 and not the fee for card.  They also failed to advise me that I could and should apply for internet banking at same time so again I would have to come back and collect my pin.
Apparently card could be sent but my colleagues advised me not to go with this option as it was not a safe option.

I was consatantly sick due to the aircon and hot-cold environment and esp when it rained as we got soaked even with umbrealla and had to walk in puddles of water...
The doctor just kept feeding me antibiotics - 4 sets later and I gave up.
So in a nutshell, Maldives is beutiful but better to go as a guest then a staff member.

hi dear

being a person living in the Maldives for last 15 years, i feel Male is a paradise, and the life style is decided by oneself, i don't believe in the comments other blogger made

Almost all the resort in Male' as of a high standard and the food and accomodation provided are of higher quality, more over all the resort pay a high level of remunaration compares to any other part of the world. the monthly earning in an average resort is aroung US$ 700/- and the money you earn is fully remain as savings, if you are a moderate person, in the staff bar of every resort a bear hardly cost US$ 1 and i beleive this is the lower compared to any destination

Girls are give a sharing accomodation with maximum 2 in a room with attached toilet and i think this is really wonderful, almost all the staff in the resort are very friendly and do the management team. most of the staff are permitted to enjoy all the facility available in the resort at a very discounted rates.

i had seen many girls working in Maldives resort for more than 3 - 4 years and this is a fine example that this place is a paradise. ofcourse there is no night life but there is social life for sure.

if you happen to work in Capital city the accomodation is bit constraint as well as the food, how ever the money you earned here remain with you and you can alway make a holiday outside Maldives at very low cost as Srilanka and India are very near, as well as far east and Middile east are also at an accessible distance

every one have a liberty to choose the pattern of employement and i recomment there is no harm in trying the oppertunity for a short period of 6 months,

vickys1123 wrote:

hi lenina,

im vicky, im living in London and im interesting aswell to go to Maldives this year, i would like to know when are u going there, im thinking in find room for share and work in a resort...

:)thanks
bye bye

if you like work in the Maldives please log on to job maldives website, you will see lot of vacancies advertised in this site, don't worry about accommodation, take a step forward and make a decision, there is no doubt that you can save more than you earn in any part of Europe

there are lot of opportunity in the Marketing field if you are multilingual as most Head of department in resorts are European

try it and explore, it is a better place and safe place, more over the climate is fantastic

Marie05 wrote:

additional question: would anyone know how much it costs to go scuba diving there? without having you own gear? im padi certified but i dont have my own vest&other gear, just fins and snorkel.Thanks again! :)

each dive in the resort cost you US$ 40 with hires divegears from the diveschool, if you work in the resort you will enjoy very low rate as you will be able to get aquinted with the staff of the diving school and may do at freee of cost even

if you prefer to go for a cruise vessel, the average room rate will be aroung US$ 100 and this includes 3 dives a day

Marie05 wrote:

Hi y'all! Thanks for the honest review of life as an expat there in the Maldives. I'm new to this forum and was just given a job offer to work at a hospital in Addu. Is that far from Male? Are there many people working/living there? And could you also tell me how the cost of living is? The salary the hospital offered me is very modest, but I was told that I would be given free accomodations and a food allowance. As for entertainment, is there really nothing to do? Im in my early 30s, so Iv gotten over the whole bar scene but I would enjoy a little karaoke now and then (hey, I'm Filipino, karaoke is in our blood!) I'm really tempted to go because I love going to the beach and in pictures the beaches seem soooo gorgeous there! Hope to get a reply soon, I have till weeks end to give the hospital my reply. Thanks in advance to those who answer! :)

hi Marie

Addu is bit far away from male, it is in south end of Maldives but is a big city where there are almost 25 thousand people lives, there are many resorts coming up there and i think you will have the opportunity to overnight in the resort if you find good friends in the resort, there are many developments happening there, people are very friendly and easygoing type

Hi all, I thought I would post a new comment on all the posts that have appeared here recently. I was also offered a job on one of the resort in Maldives and I think I was quite happy with the contract as the basic salary was quite above my expectations and in most cases, I guess, it all depends on the company and the way it's employees are treated.

On the other hand, despite the Maldivian beauty, I did realize that the islands are tiny and, thus, it would be a totally different work environment eith not only an amazing landscape but with people whose values may be totally different compared to my own ones. I, nevertheless, decided to give it a go as I wouldn't be able to approve both the negative and positive reviews without experiencing it myself. After all, it is not a prison we are going to and one can always return if something is not satisfactory!

I hope to be arriving to Maldives just within a few weeks only!

I look forward to hearing your views Lenina, let us know how it goes, and good luck!

Thanks everyone for your feedback and support. I will be posting a few pictures and my comments following my arrival to Maldives.

Talk to ya soon :)

Hi, another issue has come to my mind, which is rather a quest for the info. If one works for the resort, do you get paid in the US dollars and if the wages come in to your bank account or in an envelope? How do you send money abroad? Via money gram? Thank you for the reply!

I think its best you check out if they pay you in USD or Maldivian Dollars. Some employers started paying in Maldivian Dollars since the depreciation of their currency. Also check with your employer how you receive payment, it varies.

In terms of the diving costs, it may vary from one resort to another. This is what I managed to find online:

1 - 4 dives, per dive 52.00
5 - 9 dives, per dive 49.00
10 - 14 dives, per dive 46.00
15 dives and more, per dive 43.00
6 days non-limit diving 532.00
Additional days non-limit diving, per day 85.00
Nitrox - Additional cost per dive Free
Rebreather Dräger Dolphin – Additional cost per dive 19.00
Rebreather Evolution – Additional cost per dive 59.00
Dive sorb per kg. (for divers with own rebreather) 13.00

http://www.prodivers.com/Kuredu-Diving-Prices.aspx

I hope that helps. Lenina

Hi Lenina,

if you are a expat you will always get paid in USD. and i also cannot agree completely with buzyhunk. i am a Maldivian working in Maldives, in the hospitality industry for the past 9 years.

not every resort has a "staff bar", huvafenfushi used to have a "staff bar" but was shut down as locals were getting access to alchol (which is against maldivian law, religion and culture).

tho, most of the resorts are fexible with expats going to guest bar, and if your a european most of the resorts they offer your meals from a guest restaurent.(very very racist..most of the managements). this is changing slightly tho.

a lot of new resorts do have a staff beach, where team members can enjoy their dayoff on the beach if they like to.

agree with angelac on the bank issues, even if you missed forgot a tinest of detail you have to go back, and come again....sometimes this can be really frustrating. but if you check with your HR department they can have everything organised for you.

Now, working on a resort island is a very diffifult as you are limited to people you will meet, and there is not much social life(again depends on your lifestyle). like buzyhunk said, there are a few expats europeans who manage to stay for longer than 2 years. but they all enter maldives with a good post.ie as a head of department HOD. hence they have the luxury of having a own bed room, meals at restaurants, free water sports, free diving, free to join guest excursions. hence they manage to compensate the frustrations.

Working at a island is not as bad as these word might sound but all depend on your "style".

maldivains are extremely friendly people. love to chat smile...

enjoy maldives

Hi all again,

Does anyone know what work medicals involve? This is obligatory in most of the countries to undergo a medical examination and tests prior to sone's employment. Has anyone been though this before in Maldives? 

Lenina

Hi mooch,

Thanks a million for that informative reply. It was extremely useful and informative.
My island is less than 1km in length, which means there are not so many things one can do apart from swimming, playing tennis or just sun bathing on one's day off, which personally I don't mind as I love all  that. Provided I have access to the Internet, I can go along like that for months :)

mooch wrote:

Hi Lenina,

if you are a expat you will always get paid in USD. and i also cannot agree completely with buzyhunk. i am a Maldivian working in Maldives, in the hospitality industry for the past 9 years.

not every resort has a "staff bar", huvafenfushi used to have a "staff bar" but was shut down as locals were getting access to alchol (which is against maldivian law, religion and culture).

tho, most of the resorts are fexible with expats going to guest bar, and if your a european most of the resorts they offer your meals from a guest restaurent.(very very racist..most of the managements). this is changing slightly tho.

a lot of new resorts do have a staff beach, where team members can enjoy their dayoff on the beach if they like to.

agree with angelac on the bank issues, even if you missed forgot a tinest of detail you have to go back, and come again....sometimes this can be really frustrating. but if you check with your HR department they can have everything organised for you.

Now, working on a resort island is a very diffifult as you are limited to people you will meet, and there is not much social life(again depends on your lifestyle). like buzyhunk said, there are a few expats europeans who manage to stay for longer than 2 years. but they all enter maldives with a good post.ie as a head of department HOD. hence they have the luxury of having a own bed room, meals at restaurants, free water sports, free diving, free to join guest excursions. hence they manage to compensate the frustrations.

Working at a island is not as bad as these word might sound but all depend on your "style".

maldivains are extremely friendly people. love to chat smile...

enjoy maldives

Hi Lenina,

while you're there, could you look into the possibility of someone living on an island, but not working?

I work remotely, so I will have incoome, but I need somewhere to live, sleep and eat, as well as a bar ;)

Is this economically possible?

Regards,

Lee

Hi Lee,

Will do so sure. I know that on private islands where the resorts are, it's impossible but you may probably try the inhabited islands where one can rent and have access to the hotels with the bars. I'll find out once I am there, which is next week.

Cheers,

Anna

netyoda wrote:

Hi Lenina,

while you're there, could you look into the possibility of someone living on an island, but not working?

I work remotely, so I will have incoome, but I need somewhere to live, sleep and eat, as well as a bar ;)

Is this economically possible?

Regards,

Lee

hi lee,

depends on how long you like to stay? if your planning to stay in maldives or just a month, then its very simple you will get a on arrival tourist visa for 30days.

if you are planning to work remotely, and have a bar. its almost impossible. but if your based in Male (maldives capital city). then you can always to to HIH (hulhule Island Hotel) to drink as often as you like, if your willing to spend to drink, HIH is about 5 minutes by seed baat ferry.. (cost for ferry is $1.3 per way)

cost of living in male' is about 2500$ per month, if you are looking for a exceptional living.

2500$ is for a fully furnished, high end apartment + utilities + food.

if your interested to know more about possibilities of coming and working in maldives, feel free to drop me a line [email protected]

cheers
mooch

sorry anna i forgot to adress your question,

for the medicals, you will need to visit a hospital/clinic in maldives once you arrive. all this will be arranged by your employer. no need t worry about it. if you dont have HIV your good.

regards
mooch

Hi mooch,
My medicals have  all been arranged by my employer indeed. I was  just wondering whether they are the same as everywhere  that's all. I think the HIV tests are regular everywhere before any serious employment,  especially in the tourist industry!

Thanks again for the prompt reply!

Anna

mooch wrote:

sorry anna i forgot to adress your question,

for the medicals, you will need to visit a hospital/clinic in maldives once you arrive. all this will be arranged by your employer. no need t worry about it. if you dont have HIV your good.

regards
mooch

HI Anna,

the procedure is very simple, you will be asked to go to the head office of the employer, in male, or you will be ask to go to male and meet a representative of the employer, who will take you to the clinic/hospital.

you dont have to go there more than once. if you dont carry a contagious disease then your ok.

also make sure that you buy a SIM for your phone, i would highly recommend. wataniya as they offer best international call rates. if your carrying a Iphone and like to use VIBER, then again i wil suggest Wataniya but will help if you ask from the guys at your resort if they get 3G.

both wataniya and dhiraagu offers great 3G packages, aprox 10$ for 1GB. which will go for about a month.

hope this helps

cheers again.
mooch

Thanks a million for all this info. It was very useful indeed. I will do all these things while in Male as my resort is located far north and it's always better to sort it our before my arrival there.

cheers,

Anna

mooch wrote:

HI Anna,

the procedure is very simple, you will be asked to go to the head office of the employer, in male, or you will be ask to go to male and meet a representative of the employer, who will take you to the clinic/hospital.

you dont have to go there more than once. if you dont carry a contagious disease then your ok.

also make sure that you buy a SIM for your phone, i would highly recommend. wataniya as they offer best international call rates. if your carrying a Iphone and like to use VIBER, then again i wil suggest Wataniya but will help if you ask from the guys at your resort if they get 3G.

both wataniya and dhiraagu offers great 3G packages, aprox 10$ for 1GB. which will go for about a month.

hope this helps

cheers again.
mooch

hello everyone i am eseleh ohi from nigeria i want want you to help me with an immigration expert to help me get visa for me and my family to meldova because i want to relocate with my family .so i need an expert please help me

thanks

eseleh

pls i need an aurgent reply soonest

Nice topic as I got job offer for pre-opening team on resort in the southern atoll of Dhaalu Maldives..

hi eseleh,

this topic is about maldives, however if you are misspelled maldives, and is interested to move to maldives, i will be glad to help you with your relocation. just drop me a line [email protected]

please specify why you want to relocate, and if you have already found a job? if not what your plans are.

regards
mooch

hi wicaksonos,

let me know if you need any assistance.

cheers
mooch

mooch, if you want to promote your professional activity, please register in the business directory

thanks

HI Julien,

thanks will sure do.

cheers
mooch

Hi prudent,

This forum is dedicated to Maldives but not Moldova. Which one are you interested in?

Regards,

Lenina

prudent234 wrote:

hello everyone i am eseleh ohi from nigeria i want want you to help me with an immigration expert to help me get visa for me and my family to meldova because i want to relocate with my family .so i need an expert please help me

thanks

eseleh

pls i need an aurgent reply soonest

Lenina, he's indeed off topic, thanks for noticing it

I'm looking to live on on of the islands preferably, but I understand they're mostly owned by the hotels on them.  Are there any islands with other accommodation?  I don't need a job, just an internet connection and a bar ;)