Homesteading in Iceland

Hello, we are soon to be retirees, looking to settle into our own homestead. I am a dual citizen, Hungarian/American, with a place in Hungary, still in the US. What are the criteria for moving to Iceland to retire? We have enough funds, don't know anyone there, we want to do homesteading, grow our own food and be as self sufficient as possible. We like being social and hook up with Godly people. What can we expect in terms of rules and regulations, health care and social issues? All replies appreciated.

how about retiring in the Philippines? I know a 1 hectar sugar cane farm for sale or lease very close from my house owned by my Uncle. Let me know if you are interested and I will send you details...
cheers,
weng

Thank you for the offer but we are looking for a cooler country, so year-round hot weather is out. With global warming, things are going to get even warmer.

there isn't a special retirement program in Iceland so I'm not exactly sure how you can register in the country. The immigration website isn't super helpful either:

http://utl.is/index.php?option=com_cont … 48&lang=en

as for growing your own food, that is a bit of a challenge in a country with poor soil and short growing seasons so I suggest you look for places that either have greenhouses or where you plan to build one. The south coast around Selfoss is one of the more "breadbasket" areas with lots of farms, and the towns of Hveragerði and Flúðir have lots of greenhouses and vegetable growing.

Not sure what you are asking about re regulations and social issues. Healthcare is nationalized so is paid for in part by your taxes. Godly people.. I haven't tried to find such communities in the countryside but the area I mentioned above is near Skálholt, the seat of the Icelandic bishops for centuries.