Buying SUV MYTH????

So I went to the dealership today to buy an FJ and everything was going great until the "sales" guy tells me that ONLY Saudi nationals and MALES with family can buy an SUV/4x4 vehicle... I have talked to a couple of friends and they tell me the sales man is full of sh*t... Anybody know anything abouts "law" ???

No, the salesman is right.

But there is a way around it, you have to take a letter from your company in the name of Traffic police that you are buying a new car and go there (Nasariyah police station) with the papers of the car that you want to buy and get the approval from them.

Unfortunately, The sales man is correct !! You will have to provide a certificate from your company that you are on family status here, attested from the chamber of commerce and then deposit the same to the traffic department before you can proceed to buy any vehicle which seats more than 5 passengers !! This is the legal way.... However there is other way round too....!! Good Luck

Im sad now...

What about buying on some friend's name and getting it tranferred on your iqama. Can't there be a loophole? :unsure

Check with the dealer if they can register the car in Dammam instead of Riyadh....the rules are relaxed in Dammam...dealer had done this with a few friends :-)

Jpm19 any update on what type of car you are driving now?

Im on a single iqama and wants to buy a crossover SUV for safety purposes.The showroom told me that they can do "hocus pocus" on that, without telling me the consequences.

What if i got caught in a check point? Or what if i got involved in an accident and they found out those things?

Anyone. Pls enlighten me..thanks:)

Dadamenez wrote:

Jpm19 any update on what type of car you are driving now?

Im on a single iqama and wants to buy a crossover SUV for safety purposes.The showroom told me that they can do "hocus pocus" on that, without telling me the consequences.

What if i got caught in a check point? Or what if i got involved in an accident and they found out those things?

Anyone. Pls enlighten me..thanks:)

Say somehow, you get the SUV registered in your name (you get the Vehicle ID [Istamarah] in your name), no one ever cares if you are single or no. They trust that the requirements were taken care of when you had purchased the car.

I think it depends on the car dealer.. I bought a Hyundai from the dealer and paid 500 SAR to get the documents sorted out..

SteveSmith wrote:

I think it depends on the car dealer.. I bought a Hyundai from the dealer and paid 500 SAR to get the documents sorted out..

Completely agree, Money Speaks !! Just show them some SARs and everything would be sorted out for you by someone.

saimans wrote:
SteveSmith wrote:

Completely agree, Money Speaks !! Just show them some SARs and everything would be sorted out for you by someone.

Stevesmith, did you buy your car on cash basis? Do you have any idea on leasing and installment? Im planning to own a car via leasing company. A friend told me that once I finished the Lease Contract i need to sell the SUV because it will be very hard to transfer it to my name. So that means i have to pay them 500sr twice? Can you share some insights. Thanks.

:) Yup, i faced the same issue a while back

Well, according to the law your supposed to have a family in order to own a 4x4 as an expat, BUT it aint impossible and simply finding a small contact can get you passed that condition

Getting a truck on the other hand is impossible unless your Saudi !

Cheers

the salesman is right theoretically , but you can buy the car I think if you may pay additional 200 SAR to the one who is registering the car...

you can buy any car
family or without
don't lesson to him
enjoy the FJ
good choice  :)