Holiday in Nepal

Hi All,

A quick intro: I am American, married to a Brit and we have a 6 yr old son.  We are currently living in Mauritius, but are interested in a holiday in Nepal. 

I have searched a few of the threads here, but was hoping for some insider tips on a holiday around late July/early August.  Any info on where to stay and what to do would be most helpful.  I am also looking at several websites, but feeling a bit overwhelmed!  :)

Happy to return the favor if anyone has questions on places I/we have been.  We have travelled extensively, but have actually lived in Texas, Spain, US Virgin Islands and now Mauritius.  (My husband has lived many other places in addition to the ones I have mentioned.)  Anyway, here to help if I can!

Thanks and have a super day,

Courtney  :)

Hi Courtney,

Nepal usually attracts a few specific types of tourists, with each their specific interests. To these the tourist industry specifically caters.

Thrill seekers - there is mountaineering, bungy jumping, rafting, mountain biking, a long zip line and some other attractive possibilities.

Hikers - many treks can be taken, from day walks around the Kathmandu valley to round trips which can take weeks.

Religious visitors - There is a multitude of sacred places in Nepal, for Hindus and Buddhists specifically, but also for more obscure religions or life styles. There are many yoga centers, Reiki or other kinds of healers / teachers, and many more.

Rest seekers - There is a number of remote resorts where people can park their butts for a couple of weeks in a lounge chair and be pampered

Cultural explorers - Nepal is a very different country then most western civilizations, and it is an extremely interesting place to watch how people live and get by every day. Either in the city or in small(er) villages. Usually this means back to basics...

Reading this, you should ask yourself if any of these would become you for exploring, or if it's something different you had in mind? If you can give some insight in what kind of experiences you're looking for, then you could get a better / more specific answer to your questions.

One thing to keep in mind though is the weather.
Late July, early August is squad in the middle of the rainy season, which kind of restricts your options somewhat. At that time the rivers will be white and wild, the trekking / cycling routes muddy and rather dangerous in regard to landslides, and the mountain views will show you many clouds and few mountain tops.

Kind regards,

Jorge.