Considering Sihanoukville

Hi
I have little knowledge of Sihanoukville. I've been only to Phnom Penh and Siam Reap. I have been to Thailand (all over) many times, often Pattaya. I understand that Sihanoukville is a more genteel, relaxed Pattaya. There is a night life (with similar girly bars) but on a much smaller scale, more friendly and near great beaches and without the aggressive, unpleasant tourists (especially Russians)that flood into Pattaya.
Am I correct? I am looking for winter retirement (or more permanent), starting this winter. I will be based in Pattaya for the first part, but will be exploring Sihanoukville in November.
I hope I will find answers on this forum:D

Hi motoguzzibob!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Thanks for the welcome, Armand.
Do you have a general reply to my questions? Or is it best just search the site?
Thanks

I don't know about this destination but a little more patience, i'm sure the other members in this area might help you ;)

Good luck
Armand

Hi....
If you are seeking for a place with a nightlife,  go to Phnom - Phen. .. not Sihanoukville!
Only few hours by car. ... less than 10 $ by bus to reach Sihanoukville from Phnom - Phen. So you can enjoy the nightlife of phnom penh and heading to Sihanoukville for weekends.
You have some bars too in Sihanoukville. ... but nothing compares to Phnom - Phen. .. and very far from the ones of Pattaya.

boycott for tourists in Cambodia that tourists come on Sunday two guys on a motorcycle when docked to a German labor came, riding his bike to the tyranny agararon casa.Le bag and dragged several meters, is entered severe in Bangkok, with multiple fractures, and the police is not doing anything. we are tired of so many robberies, and every day more .... Boycott all tourist vengaissss not until this is resolved, we are tired being robbed and above have to pay the police to investigate ... publish it in all languages ​​and in all the web pag.....

This is life in these places .i live in the caribbean , and if something happens police are paid so poorly and C......, that the investigation stems from how can they have some financial gain . they like most of thailand, caribbean , southamericans,filipnos, etc think we are all loaded .Only when there is a real stink by some prominent  person so they spend any time investigating it In first world countries you can be robbed , they say call insurance co. If violance is involved they spend more investigation time however  many unsolved violent crimes So you must be plenty careful these days ! Siaknookville is another very dicey place if you dont do all you can to safeguard yourself .... Same in Pattaya, Phuket.  , thailand .Pattayas nice but there are so many russians that i spent 3 moths there and only occasionally  heard english or other languages  !  i was in Naklua and most of the signs were in Russian . they also dont  know english  like many other european countries

There are a few hostess bars in Sihanoukville, but nothing like Pattaya. There's cheaper alcohol and more affordable food. There are some very nice people in Sihanoukville, but like everywhere, you have to think on your feet and not take everyone and everything at face value. There are some very nice beaches. There are a few Russians and Chinese and Korean as well as many other nationalities. Some only here, in fear of being somewhere else.
See you when you get

John (Big John) Newman-Lawes

BigJohnBKK wrote:

There are a few hostess bars in Sihanoukville, but nothing like Pattaya. There's cheaper alcohol and more affordable food. There are some very nice people in Sihanoukville, but like everywhere, you have to think on your feet and not take everyone and everything at face value. There are some very nice beaches. There are a few Russians and Chinese and Korean as well as many other nationalities. Some only here, in fear of being somewhere else.
See you when you get

John (Big John) Newman-Lawes

Glad it is nothing like Pattaya. I prefer a more relaxed atmosphere where I can take a walk along the beach without 100 working girls asking me about short time. Prefer less than 10 asking otherwise I just can't decide(lol). Looking for a place to live, enjoy life without the constant barrage of sales, small community where it is easy to make friends.

I live in Snooky, and there are still way too many Russians and other Eastern Europeans here, who are rude, pushy and seem to have lost track of where the SHOWER is, and what it is for. As a long-time resident, I do my shopping early, and avoid town as much as possible. Can't wait until March and April when the cattle return to Russia.

basically yes u r correct, settled here cheap living good nite life victory hill, the square, things to do during the day , me i go out fishing from otres marina but good place to relax