Fairway Hotel.....any opinions?

Hi all,
I am trying to research the 'best value for money' 3-star or up hotel in Kampala for a group of 8-12 of us to stay in for a week.
The reviews of the Fairway I can find on-line seem OK, and the prices (US$95 - US$106 per night) seem really reasonable.

Anyone actually IN Kampala have an opinon on the place? Or any suggestions on an hotel with a pool, restaurant, & bar that is in a 'decent' neighbourhood and close to the central business district at not an exhorbitant price (like some I've seen!)

I actually just noticed....on Google Earth they show a "Fair Way" (2 words) and a "Fairway" (1 word) hotel across the street from each other on Kafu Road.....Are they the same hotel?

Hello EnglishmaninToronto,

Friends of ours stayed in the Golf View Apartments and liked it. I think its self catering though. Its certainly central, but I have no idea of cost. It is quite expensive staying in Kampala - so Fairway may be the best bet but I've only ever been there for meetings.

Hey,

From your comments,possibly consider, spekehotel.com.

I have not been there but I gather they are a 'more recognized' entity in the city..check the reviews too for a more informed decision offcourse.

"Orinoko" Audrey
Even though you have only been there for meetings, in general was it clean? appear well run? etc
"Bangkoknewest" Eric
I've looked at the Speke...not really for us, if I was to stay in a 'colonial' style, I'd probably look at the Grand Imperial

Ok..then The Fairway it should be..

It was a bit old fashioned, but at the time was clean - but I was told it was refurbished a couple of years ago. We tend to put work visitors in a little guesthouse in Muyenga called Orchidea- not central though - its a matatu ride to town centre (about 25- 35 mins). It is clean but really quite basic (probably 3 star)- no pool.
Mamba Point is very clean and pleasant. Food used to be a bit pricey but as its central, if you found it so, you can find lots of eateries not too far out. They have a pool too - big bonus for cooling off.
A friend of ours is a travel agent and often has guests in transit - don't have his email but his number is +256 782282791 Amos Wekesa.
He will be able to tell you a lot more. His company is Great Lakes Safaris.

Forgot to mention - the best thing about the Fairway is that its walking distance to Garden City & Oasis - cinemas/bowling/foodcourt/restaurants etc etc. Handy when new to town

Try the college inn in wandegeya,hotel catherine in wandegeya

Hey, In that League try
-Protea Hotel
-Golf Course Hotel
-Mosa Courts

There are so many very cheap motels and Inns all around Kampala
One problem they think wazungus (White People) Have money so they will make you pay double when bargaining half the price

Please do not stay at Grand Imperial. I have friends who stayed there and they did not like their experience at all.

I would recommend Protea Hotel. It is close to the city and most especially, it is very clean.

We have guests who stayed at the hotel and they enjoyed their experience including the cleanliness of the hotel, the friendly staff, the fact that it was within a walking distance to great restaurants like Khana Khazana and the fact that it was close to the city.