Buying a car in Uganda

Hi,

To be able to move in Uganda, a lot of expatriates think of buying a car, whether new or second-hand.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in Uganda: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

Hello Kenjee. Are you looking for a brand new car or a used reconditioned one? There are agencies for  well established manufacturers as well as car bonds that sell reconditioned cars especially from Japan. You can also look out for used cars from locals looking to sell. Please inbox for further details incase you're still interested.

Hello there Michaelgm,

Kenjee is a member of the Expat.com Team. This topic has been launched to gather a maximum info on the subject so that expat and future expats could get all the required infos on this thread.

Thank you for your contribution,
Bhavna

Thanks for the calrification Bhavna

There is another option.....I am a Canadian living in Kampala and have a friend here that operates a travel agency, Jewel Safaris.  He has been offering short term and long term leases to avoid all the trouble and risk associated with buying a vehicle in Uganda.  His vehicles come with maintenance, insurance and even a driver if you want.  One monthly payment and everything but the fuel is included.  He markets this service to NGO's but I think its even a good idea for a personal vehicle, especially for someone who is only here for a few months.

I am a Canadian doing mission work in Africa to help orphan kids. I am looking at buying a car in Entebbe, then over 4 months gradually driving the car down to South Africa and eventually hoping to sell it there when we are done with it.  Here are my questions.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in Uganda: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Can I cross the border into Tanzania?

Anyone that can help me? It would be much appreciated. My Email. [link moderated]

Thank you so much in advance! Dean

@deansampano it's easy. Just let me know how we can get intouch and i can help you through the entire process