Hey everybody

Saludos....

My name is Mark Anthony, I have been living in santiago for about 8 years the best city!!!! I just wanted to say hello to everyone here maybe make some new friends. I love traveling it's my passion I have lived or visited about 20 countries. Let's see I'm a total foodie, I love wine, art and going out getting crazy sometimes.  I hope to meet some cool people here thanks....

Welcome to Expat.com Mark Anthony!

Hope that you'll get a lot of nice contacts here.;)

Harmonie.

Greetings Mark and Welcome. How has your experience been living in Santiago? I read so much about how dangerous it is, but as a foreigner living there for such a long time, what is your realistic take on the City? I have only been to Punta Cana, and I currently visit the North Coast of Cabarete which so far has been quite safe and quiet. I would also like to spend more time on the Island, but the issue is finding a way to work by internet in order to not deal with the low paying wages currently being offered. How have you managed as far as work goes? Once again welcome to the forum and hope you make some new friends.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the board. We moved to the north coast (Sosua/Cabarete area) 7 years ago and have not looked back for a second.
There is a large expat community and a good mix of locals as well. We  have made some great friends here.

BOb

Hola como te va?  thanks for the warm welcome, I hope to know many people and help others with any questions they might have.

Greetings Mark and Welcome. How has your experience been living in Santiago? I read so much about how dangerous it is, but as a foreigner living there for such a long time, what is your realistic take on the City? I have only been to Punta Cana, and I currently visit the North Coast of Cabarete which so far has been quite safe and quiet. I would also like to spend more time on the Island, but the issue is finding a way to work by internet in order to not deal with the low paying wages currently being offered. How have you managed as far as work goes? Once again welcome to the forum and hope you make some new friends.

@massagewiz

Well first don't believe all the hype Santiago for me at least is like home in every sence of the word.  I have never felt in danger here the most that ever happens in sometimes people test my heart with the extranjero precio..... but that's when the tigre arrives and I tell them they got the wrong guy lol Santiago has a lot to offer to those who seek  the real Dominican lifestyle  because their are almost no tourist here. I personally have lived in Latin countries since I was young including panama where you mentioned your from. I lived in coco del mar calle 50. So the Latin culture is normal to me. my ethnic background is Greek American so I was always influenced by my traditions. I love cabarete I go there all the time with my friends but for sure its more dangerous than Santiago. As far as the low pay that's normal everyone wants the edge the only real way to make good money is to have a family name(connections) or have your own business. your Panamanian you now how it goes right? are you  zonian? ( from the military zone in Panama)If you ever have any questions about Santiago or help just let me know I'm for sure willing to help other travelers that's what its all about learning from others.......

Welcome to the board. We moved to the north coast (Sosua/Cabarete area) 7 years ago and have not looked back for a second.
There is a large expat community and a good mix of locals as well. We  have made some great friends here.

@Bob

Thanks for the greeting, I do enjoy the north coast also nothing better than the cool breeze of cabarete on a warm night. If you ever come to Santiago let me know we can have a beer or something or if you have questions about anything in Santiago. I'm always up for meeting new people and learning and sharing with others.

Thanks a lot for the info Mark.  I grew up in Panana City Panama. We had family from the Zone, but I grew up in the Inner City. Rio Abajo. I now reside in N.Y. Great City, but I'm growing weary of the cold weather LOL. I'm hoping to work out the financial/job thing first. 

The most I have spent on the Island is a month, but would like to spend a bit more time to see if the Island is the place for me before thinking about residencia and all that stuff. My background is in Sports Therapy/Massage, but being from N.Y. I have done it all, I guess it is the Panamanian way of making something out of nothing. I guess getting a local job should not be that hard since I'm bilingual and have a variety of skills, but I'm simply afraid I will not make enough to live in a secure comfortable place. I'm looking in to a few online jobs that allow you to work online from abroad, just as a way to supplement my local income If I appen to land something.  Thanks again for the info and sharing your experiences.

Thanks a lot for the info Mark.  I grew up in Panana City Panama. We had family from the Zone, but I grew up in the Inner City. Rio Abajo. I now reside in N.Y. Great City, but I'm growing weary of the cold weather LOL. I'm hoping to work out the financial/job thing first.

The most I have spent on the Island is a month, but would like to spend a bit more time to see if the Island is the place for me before thinking about residencia and all that stuff. My background is in Sports Therapy/Massage, but being from N.Y. I have done it all, I guess it is the Panamanian way of making something out of nothing. I guess getting a local job should not be that hard since I'm bilingual and have a variety of skills, but I'm simply afraid I will not make enough to live in a secure comfortable place. I'm looking in to a few online jobs that allow you to work online from abroad, just as a way to supplement my local income If I appen to land something.  Thanks again for the info and sharing your experiences.

Well first you gotta ask yourself what's enough for you to live here? because its one thing to live in tourist zone and another to live in the city. I mean the north coast for example has a lot of tourist food places but not a lot of chatarra como tiene santiago. The drinks are always gonna cost more unless you go to the colmado or something. You could always apply for a management position in a hotel or call center which could possibly pay better. Just remember your from panama and you know everyone has their own hustle just make it a point to have your own.....