Salery information

Hi. I'm a English welder that can do all types of engineering I have all my papers what sort of salery shud I expect in thailand

Minimum wage is 300 baht per day.
But I believe that due to the housing boom professionals in any trade (welding, tiling, carpenters, etc) can get up to 1,000 baht per day (short-term contracts).

Hi Brett,
Sorry, but you're not likely to find employment in Thailand. The reason is the ethnic population aren't short of welders or other trades. The minimum wage Bobby quotes is for Thai nationals.

Yeah I would like to know to the standard salary for the foreigner in thai.

Lets say a call center agent or phone sales

There are the occasional commission based sales jobs that crop up for foreigners occasionally, but these are usually in the property market that collapsed years ago. If you were to obtain one of these your monthly salary would be in the region of 20 to 30k THB a month, plus a usually unobtainable commission.

Generally, everyone is now trying to sell and that applies to everything; cars, property etc., and no one is buying – a story all too familiar also in the west? The only industry still active is teaching, but even in this salaries are plummeting and I've seen full time teaching work advertised as low as 15 and 20k a month, with the average at 30k.

Sales based call centres to sell to whom; foreign pensioners and low paid teachers?

I'm not trying to put people off, but simply pointing out that you need to have a skill that is in demand here, not just in your own country. Having been a factory worker or a shop sales assistant in your own country is of absolutely no value here. Factor into every job your visa costs, increased medical insurance, acceptable western type accommodation . . . . . and my opinion is that you need 40k a month just to keep pace with the increased cost of living.

There is also a recession here; granted nowhere near that of the west, but you can feel it throughout Asia.

Mr Sattahip has given good assessment of the situation. when people need respite from the drudgery of their predicament it natural to escape to some better place but one should beware of the pitfalls and not be form frying pan into the fire.

Thank you Zubair.
I live in Thailand but work in China. I've been here some years now and I can tell people from experience that I can think of no country in Asia anymore where one could just turn up and enjoy a middle class carefree life; those days are over. Immigration laws are tightening everywhere. One thing Asia is not short of is manual or semi-skilled workers. If with the skills you have you are unable to get employment in your own country, you're also unlikely to find it here.

One occupation Asia does require is English teachers. If you're a native speaker, have a minimum of a verifiable University degree and no criminal record, then with a bit of time and perseverance, you can train to become one and then you will find work easily here.

For those with marketable skills, why not try Australia, (if you're under 40 years of age), or Canada? A welder? Why not try the oil rigs of the Gulf oil producing states? Backpackers, factory workers, bar staff . . . sit in your respective European countries to see out the recession; there at least you have free housing, a small social income and free medical care. That might not seem much, but I can assure you that half the world would be glad to be in your shoes.

Brett.

You will have no luck finding a job in Thailand.
Check the Australian Govt website for the 457 visa requirements.
Work here in West Austraia for welders.

I Agree with 'Stumpy' ...WA may be the place to go ...but the Oz government is about to tighten up on the 457 visas so it isn't getting any easier ...I am now retired in Thailand and to be honest I would say you have NO chance of a visa to work as a welder ...there are many welders here ..although most are not qualified ...you do not speak Thai I assume ..another problem in any form of trade in Thailand ...and how they live on the wages they are paid amazes me ...by the way ..most jobs are 6 days a week ...no paid hols and no benefits ...and as far as H&S standards ..!!!!  Look for something else ..Oz if you can and work from there !  Good Luck