Brazil working pace /Food and culture shock in a fun way

I wonder am I the only one to think most of the Brazilian can't count or even their cash machine work in the pace like a "Tartaruga", I always find it always take me more than 15min on the line of just 6/7 people..... With only 8/9 items each.

This is my 3rd week here, the Brazil cuisine are actually not bad, and healthy as well, except is way tooo salty...... I meet some expats here who live long enough to even forget about it already until I mention again.

another culture shock in a "fun" way is I suppose Brazil is the only place (so far) for me that we can shopping around and eat with bikini and speedo... Got to admit my jaw was drop when i saw it on the first time. If i do there on Malaysia on UK I might just make myself in the headline....

Hi Daniel,

It's not that Brazilians can't count or that the ATMs are slow, the problem is that since Brazilians get paid only once a month they tend to do all their banking transactions for the month at the same time. Consequently they have many transations. There are two ways to avoid or reduce the delays. First of all avoid using the ATM on the 5th business day of the month or even a few days after that since most pays are deposited on that day. Second if you use an ATM that is in a public place (not in a bank) users can't deposit funds or pay bills with cash at these machines so the wait time will be reduced due to fewer transactions per person.

Brazilians really do love their salt, so never season any food before you have tasted it. If you need to add salt then go ahead, but this will be rare.

Walking around the streets in swimwear is commonplace in all Brazilian costal cities, they have a whole different attitude to the human body than we do.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hello,

Read your message & found it quite interesting. Well I am planning to travel to Rio Brazil in couple of months for work & was interested in knowing about the city Rio..more so as I am a vegetarian & am planning to travel to Brazil with my wife & kid. How safe is the place etc.

Cheers,

Ranga123,

If you read the threads posted at the top of the first Brazil Forum page, "A Gringo's Survival Guide for Brazil", "Food & Drink in Brazil - Avoiding Problems" and while written about São Paulo it still applies to Rio "High cost of living in SP and how to economize" and follow all the tips you should have no major problems and do just fine.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team