Thailand - Visa and proof of onward journey

Hi all

Hope you can help.

We are UK citizens and fly to BKK on 16 March 2013 and have a flight out of BKK on 31 October 2013.

Unfortunately we are travelling at the moment and are not able to apply for a visa in advance from any of the Thai embassies in UK.  Based on this, we understand we we will be granted the standard 30 day visa on arrival.

The plan is to see how things go in Thailand and if all goes well, when we return to UK, we will arrange for either a double entry visa or perhaps an education visa for our trip back to Thailand next year.

We realise it's not ideal but our query is this.  Will Thai immigration grant us the 30 day visa on arrival?  The dates on our flight tickets are over 7 months apart (March - Oct)? 

Will Thai immigration want proof of an onward journey before they grant us a 30 day visa?  Do we have to buy tickets (bus/train/flight to Laos etc) to exit Thailand before the 30 day visa expires?  Do we need to show them the ticket receipts of the onward journey before they will grant us entry?

We understand that we will have to do a visa run or two once we are there but wonder if Thai immigration will insist on seeing proof of that before we step foot in Thailand, or can we simply purchase that after we arrive?

Btw, if we arrive in BKK on 16 March, can you please confirm which date we should book a flight out to, say Laos?  We calculate our 30th day in Thailand would be 14 April but we don't want to cut it fine.  Would a flight out of BKK to Laos on 10 April be ok?  We're hoping to apply for a double entry visa in Laos to get us back on track and then return to BKK!

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Those flight days would be ok. I have gone out of thailand on the day the visa expires with no problem.

To get into Laos you will be given a visa form on the plane to fill out. You will need a passport size photograph to hand in with the form. You will also need US$$ to pay for the visa.

I just wrote a brief reply but it seems to have gone somewhere!

To repeat what I wrote.

If you are travelling in a place with a Thai embassy or consulate you could get a tourist visa to suit your needs before you arrive in BKK.

Remember land enteries to Thailand without a visa attract a 15 day stamp for UK citizens.

By the way your plan sounds fine and the flight out will satisfy immigration, not that they are likely to ask.

For free entry to Thailand, you will get 15 days and then you have to exit Thailand for another country i.e for Cambodia borderland for another 15 days of free re-entry or Vientaine, Laos for a tourist visa 60 days with double entries.
For 1 year ED visa, if you consider it as your plan for next trip, I can offer you a support as my school working on it.

(moderated: no free ads please)

happytravels wrote:

Hi all

Hope you can help.

We are UK citizens and fly to BKK on 16 March 2013 and have a flight out of BKK on 31 October 2013.

Unfortunately we are travelling at the moment and are not able to apply for a visa in advance from any of the Thai embassies in UK.  Based on this, we understand we we will be granted the standard 30 day visa on arrival.

The plan is to see how things go in Thailand and if all goes well, when we return to UK, we will arrange for either a double entry visa or perhaps an education visa for our trip back to Thailand next year.

We realise it's not ideal but our query is this.  Will Thai immigration grant us the 30 day visa on arrival?  The dates on our flight tickets are over 7 months apart (March - Oct)? 

Will Thai immigration want proof of an onward journey before they grant us a 30 day visa?  Do we have to buy tickets (bus/train/flight to Laos etc) to exit Thailand before the 30 day visa expires?  Do we need to show them the ticket receipts of the onward journey before they will grant us entry?

We understand that we will have to do a visa run or two once we are there but wonder if Thai immigration will insist on seeing proof of that before we step foot in Thailand, or can we simply purchase that after we arrive?

Btw, if we arrive in BKK on 16 March, can you please confirm which date we should book a flight out to, say Laos?  We calculate our 30th day in Thailand would be 14 April but we don't want to cut it fine.  Would a flight out of BKK to Laos on 10 April be ok?  We're hoping to apply for a double entry visa in Laos to get us back on track and then return to BKK!

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

As long as you are flying in to Thailand you will get 30 days, not 15. You only get 15 days if you're making a land entry.

Hi TD:

I noticed your comment to the Brit looking for info.

You're associated with a school or something?

I'm interested to know more about the 'Ed' visa you alluded to.  I remember reading something about it. 

If I come to Thailand I'll be working online as a writer but it does so happen that I taught English 4 years in S.Korea before I came here to Manila about 2 years ago.

I know what visa runs are and the thought of it doesn't bother me at all but I'd be interested in any information on other visa options that you could share with me.

BTW....it seems that you're Vietnamese.  I was in Vietnam in the Army in 68-69 and then worked there as a civilian for an additional 3 years.  Overall, I liked Vietnam a lot.  I sure miss the food.

Regards,
Art Williams
http://about.me/artwilliams

Hi Williams,

I'm Vietnamese and currently working in Bangkok, Thailand.
You will need to register a Thai course 180 hours and with the school's support, you will receive the letter from MOE to apply for 1 year ED visa at Royal Thai embassy in your country residence. You will get the permit to stay for 90 days on arrival and every 3 months extension in Thai local Immigration office. This ED visa can be renewed every year, in 3 years total. If you are interested, drop me a line in private message for more detail.

You were in Vietnam before so you must know our culture very well. Now Vietnam is much different compare to 40 years ago. It's worth for a visit again :-)