Spanish immersion

I've been researching Cuenca for a while & I've come to the end of the internet. Outside of the bureaucratic issues in getting a residency visa, It seems like a fine place to move.
From what I've read, it seems that expats generally want to hang together, but I want an immersion experience. I know it will be a cultural-switch freak-out for a little while, but it sounds fun. It seems Ecuadorians are friendly and will go the extra mile to help you out.

Just a couple of questions: I'm single and merely want a one bedroom in El Centro, but I keep seeing these great three bedrooms. Can you rent out two bedrooms under your lease & have the place pay for itself? I'd be furnishing the place.

Does anyone do electronic banking exclusively in the US and not in Ecuador?

If I do move there, I'm thinking hiring a taxi for a few days so the driver can translate/negotiate for me. $100 a day too much? Bad idea?

Hi Morgie!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

visit www.mantasosguide.com

I don't think it's a bad idea to hire a facilitator to help you negotiate the miriad of issues you will have to deal with.
I don't know what you consider " a day ", but $100.00 is probably generous. I know an expat, that is privy to  all the in's and out's, and he charges at $ 10.00 an hour, which includes his gas and car. Actually, I think that is kinda the going rate,but this guy is an expat, and see's things from that viewpoint, and is very knowledgable. If you are interested in contacting him, PM me and I can give you his particulars. He is very well thought of, and very savy.
It's going to be an exciting journey, and I wish you well.
Good Luck,
Neil

Morgue, I do electronic banking with a Wells Fargo account in the US however we also maintain a local Pichincha account. We use the WF account for direct deposit and auto payment of US credit cards that we use in Ecuador. It would be difficult not having a local bank account as local merchants would not accept a US check as it would take a month to clear. Also, we tend to use cash more here as smaller merchants do not take credit cards.