Cuenca Rentals

My wife and I are retired and interested in spending time in Ecuador.  She speaks Spanish well.  We will be in Cuenca, Jan and Feb 2013 and are looking for a reasonalble place to rent for a month. Would like to be able to walk to all necessary locations. The places on line are expensive or already booked.  Any suggestion would be welcome. Also, is there a coffee shop where the expats frequent?  We currently live in Colorado.
John

People who don't find something suitable online in advance, typically stay in a hostel while they look around for an apartment. The fact your wife speaks Spanish should make the process easier.

Hello Pankolin,

Yes, usually properties posted in the internet are expensive unless you look at the local web pages, in Spanish.
And photos sometimes is not enough to make a decision.
The best is to start looking for something once you're here.
I can help you with this if you want and I can send you some info about rentals so you can have an idea of the local market.

Expats meet at Coffe Tree, Zoe bar on Fridays, Di Bacco restaurant on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Inca bar, Eucaliptus Bar.... there's many places now.

Vinny

To second what Vinny said, a lot is word of mouth.  This can be frustrating as most times you will get a blank stare... But the expats can tell you about where they live.

My only involvement in real estate was finding the place where we live.  But, as an example, a lady who lives in our little part of Cuenca asked me if I knew anybody who was looking for a house that she had to rent.  While frustrating for those of us accustomed to MLS, it does seem to be the way it is done here.

Mike

You need to be more specific about your needs if you expect answers that will help you. ''Expensive'', ''reasonable place to rent'' and ''close to necessary places'' can mean different things to different people. Four months from now is a long time. My humble suggestion to you is to create a relationship with someone living where you want to go and ask them questions that address your specific needs. No doubt you will get plenty of answers.

You need to be more specific if you expect to receive answers that address your situation. ''Expensive'', ''close to things'' etc. can mean different things to different people. Four months from your arrival is gives you plenty of time to create a relationship with someone living where you want to go. They will get your questions answered.

Thanks all.  I am hooking up with a Cuenca expat as we speek.

Thanks for the input.  Have located an expat to help.  Hopefully find something in the center for $800 or less.  Looking forward to walking the city.