Crime in the Netherlands

Hello

While reading the Dutch press, I get the impression that crime is a growing problem in the Netherlands.  There appear to be increasing ethnic tensions between the native Dutch and ethnic minorities as well.  What is your opinion in this respect ?  Do you find the large cities (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague) still safe and pleasant ?  Have you been victim of crime yourself ?  Thank you for your contribution !

Hi mrgalak,

I have lived in Rotterdam for the past three years and feel much safer here than I did when living in parts of London.  I travel quite regularly to Den Haag and also used to work in Amsterdam for a year and have never had any problems.

There are tensions between the Dutch and certain ethnic minorities and there are ethnic groups that are more prevalent in crime statistics and media reporting.  However, there are a lot of outside factors that contribute to this.  I am currently completing my masters dissertation on the Moroccan situation in the Netherlands so if you want to discuss further just let me know in an email. :)

Either way, I personally have not been a victim of crime in the Netherlands and do not feel unsafe here, quite the contrary.  Of course, big cities are big cities and you have to be aware of your personal belongings but that's everywhere you go.

Heather