Optometry Information

Good day,

My name is Theresa and i am currently living in South Africa.

I would like to know if anyone on the site could assist me or direct me on the channels to follow for applying to practice Optometry in Netherlands with my South African qualifications.
I have been in contact with someone, but not seeming to get anywhere??.

Hope someone can assist.
Many Thanks
Theresa

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

It's almost certainly a restricted profession, which means that you will need to get your diploma/qualifications recognised in Holland before anybody will be able to employ you.  The Dutch have an organisation called NUFFIC who deal with that; this link will take you to their website.

Assuming you get through that, looking at the jobs being advertised and salaries, you would probably qualify as a skilled migrant, which will make any immigration much easier; however, you should realise that all work-based visas are by definition temporary and you may have to return to SA when it expires.  That said, most people do get the chance to apply to remain.

The other thing to consider is how good is your Dutch; most medical roles require a professional standard in Dutch.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Wow, thanks for this Cynic,

This really helps, i have actually also gotten to a website now that also helped a bit, yes, i agree, i checked the list of regulated professions and Optometry definitely features there, so i have gone onto the CIBG website and just waiting for some response.

As far as the language goes, gosh, not proficient at all. I Know afrikaans very well, which is "almost" "similar" where I mean certain words you can recognize from dutch that is similar to afrikaans, but no not good at Dutch, so that will definitely be a hinder.

Then just a question on the work visa expiring, yes, i fully understand that, but are there cases where you can stay/remain? and under which circumstances would that be?

I appreciate ALL your assistance.
Thanks
Theresa

Hi again.

Yep - CIBG would have been my next link - it tells you in there about language proficiency.  To put the language into perspective.  Yes, you're right, most Dutch people will understand some Afrikaans.  However, as a language, Afrikaans is a mixture of Dutch, German, English and African tribal languages as they were spoken 200 years ago and it hasn't really developed as a language since then; the only people who speak it in Holland are other South Africans.  The other important thing is that life around you is in Dutch, the posters in your doctor's waiting room; the travel information at the bus stop, the theatre - it's all in Dutch.  If you have kids, their teachers speak Dutch; a lot of people come to Holland thinking they'll get by and they do, speaking with their fingers and in a loud voice (I was one of them).

With regards to visas; yes, in all cases you can apply to either extend or remain in the country; however, these are always political decisions (i.e. a politician can turn the tap off), so will be at the will of whoever is in charge of whatever country.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Oh i see, yes, the language will be a challenge i guess.

WRT to the Visa, understood, it will depend yes on that specific governing body.

But thanks for ALL your help!!!.

Many Thanks
Theresa

Hi Theresa .
Did you come right with working as an optom in netherlands?

Regards
Tyrone

Mr TJH wrote:

Hi Theresa .
Did you come right with working as an optom in netherlands?

Regards
Tyrone

I suspect the OP didn't get much luck in her journey to the Netherlands as 6 months later, they were looking at other countries; they haven't logged on the Forum for 2 months, so you may not get an answer to your question.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic

It isn't a problem trying to find employment if I don't have a EU passport?

Where do I register and start the necessary applications for practicing optometry in Netherlands?

Regards
Tyrone

Mr TJH wrote:

Hi Cynic

It isn't a problem trying to find employment if I don't have a EU passport?

Where do I register and start the necessary applications for practicing optometry in Netherlands?

Regards
Tyrone

Hi again.

You could try reading the posts in this thread and checking out the links I provided.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hai...... I completed my Bsc optometry from Kerala health university in India(4 year course) .... And also I have 2 year and 10 month experience from Indian hospital. My husband already has Netherlands visa.... So I have got spouse visa..... So what are the requirements I need to work as an optometrist in Netherlands?

Thanking you

Hai...... I completed my Bsc optometry from Kerala health university in India(4 year course) .... And also I have 2 year and 10 month experience from Indian hospital. My husband already has Netherlands visa.... So I have got spouse visa..... So what are the requirements I need to work as an optometrist in Netherlands?

Thanking you
-@binu30062022

You need a Certificate of Competence from the BIG register; this link will take you straight to their website where you can read more about it,  One thing you need to consider is the requirement to be fluent in the Dutch language as part of this process; you will need to be able to prove that by either having undertaken your primary education in the Dutch school system or have another recognised diploma certifying your prowess in the language.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hi everyone,

I went to the university of Minho, Portugal and i graduated at Optometry and now i'm working in that area for over a year. Do i get any chance of working as a optometrist in the Netherlands?

I was reading some things, and i hope that i could go to the Netherlands and work as an optometrist.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Hi everyone,
I went to the university of Minho, Portugal and i graduated at Optometry and now i'm working in that area for over a year. Do i get any chance of working as a optometrist in the Netherlands?
I was reading some things, and i hope that i could go to the Netherlands and work as an optometrist.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

-@BDMD98

The post above yours answers your question.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team