UK EU referendum

i am just wondering will UK EU residents here in malta be allowed to vote on this important issue if/when it goes ahead.

Not sure if this means you can only vote in Malta. 

"Any person who holds the nationality of an EU country is automatically also an EU citizen.
EU citizenship is additional to and does not replace it.
EU citizenship gives every EU citizen a number of important rights, including:
• the right to move freely around the European Union and settle anywhere within
its territory;
• the right to vote or stand as a candidate in elections to the European Parliament
and in municipal elections in the EU country in which you reside, even if you are
not a national of that country;
• the right to protection by the diplomatic or consular authorities of any EU
country in a third country (country outside the EU) where your home EU country is
not represented by a consulate;
• the right to petition the European Parliament, to apply to the Ombudsman, and to
write to any of the EU institutions or bodies.
Chapter"

Terry

I thought we could still vote in national elections if you ask to do so by proxy - and am sort of thinking it may be the same for this referendum

Former UK residents can vote by post or proxy in UK General Elections. One needs to register with what would have been your original registration location.
British citizens living abroad for more than 15 years are not eligible to register to vote in UK elections.

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/register_t … broad.aspx

Don't know about referendums though.

I think it's just another ploy by the conservatives to get re-elected, if they get back in it will be quietly forgotten about.

That's what I think anyway :D

Interesting stance from Cameron "we will hold a referendum after renegotiating our terms" with the EU is making noises there will be no new terms offered

I suspect this will prove such a vote winner, that labour will be forced into making a similar pledge to nullify it as an electoral stance. Be interesting to know the lib/dems stance.

Hi all,

I'm just wondering whether anybody in the rest of the EU really cares if the UK are still in the EU or already out !

The only thing that would really have to be changed are the car number plates with the EU emblem! No one in the EU cares about that !

The UK is the only EU country that I travel to were I have to show my UK passport and fear being denied entry. Let alone any non-EU family members.

I presume all UK EXpats in Malta would/will vote for the UK to stay in the EU but I think they are already on the way out !

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

I presume all UK EXpats in Malta would/will vote for the UK to stay in the EU but I think they are already on the way out !

Cheers
Ricky

I would, not all would though, including some on this forum

I think that many overseas students will care.
Also we need to consider trading links apart from the obvious benefits to us current and prospective ex-pats).
Mind you it easy to change opinions for example in the 1975 referendum I voted 'No' :/ But now we are so far involved that it would be economic suicide to leave.
American economists seem also to be very concerned.
My fear is that the average voter (in the UK)will have no idea of the full range of implications of any 'Brexit' and would simply vote on the basis of misplaced bigotry, patriotism, unattainable promises of right wing parties and issues regarding immigration. I don't think the majority will understand or want to see the 'bigger picture'. Just my opinion of course.

i would vote to stay for sure

toonarmy9752 wrote:

i would vote to stay for sure

Me too

I for one, given the chance, would not vote to stay in, the common market was a great idea but a federal europe is not. The idea that the UK would not survive out of europe is being pushed by the same people who said not being part of the euro would ruin the UK!

Around 50% of UK trade is outside of the EU with China and the Far east providing a massive potential market, while the EU  is currently stagnant.
Within the EU Germany is our biggest trading partner, do you think that they will want the UK to leave?

Getting back powers to control our own immigration policy, decide our own laws democratically and to be able to trade within the EU is a the way to go.

The only people to gain from an  EU state are the politicians
who love to creat thier own jobs but who are unable to get the EU  finances passed by thier own auditors because of the amount of corruption within the EU.

The majority of UK residents have not yet had the chance to vote on a federal Europe and that is not democratic.

Terry

An interesting insight into the UK - EU debate

http://www.global-politics.co.uk/issue5/Thillien/

Terry

The concept proposed in the article - a core of countries, with others (incl the UK)on the periphery is, I guess close to what Cameron will try and negotiate. Will have to be seen if countries like France just say Non