RACISM IN KIEV

Hi Friends,

How are you?This is CA.Sudeep Epari, i received an offer working in Kiev.Actually i heard so many bad things about Ukraine regarding the Racial discrimination,Stray Dogs,culture etc.

Being a dark skinned Indian, should u really think that i should take up the offer.Will i have a social life?

Please guide me about taking a wise decision.

Thanks in advance

Sudeep Epari

Hello Sudeep Epari,

You know, probably we all afraid of something.
I may ask you almost the same queastion: i'm blonde with green eyes and very very light skin. Could i come to India and feel save?

All depends where are you going to live in Kiev and which life you could afford.

Wish you good luck!

I just moved to Ukraine last month from US, this is the third time to visit and probably the final since i decided to make it home :)
before i came here i heard and read all kinds of negative reviews on how unsafe it is here but honestly i personally see Ukraine differently, i don't know why, it could be because i always tend to ignore the empty half of the glass and look for the things that make me happy :)
To answer your question, i don't think you should worry too much, Ukrainian people are not violent and if you compare the crime rate and nature of crimes specially those are involving hate to those in the US for example you will know very quickly that Ukraine is much safer, don't know about in India though but the good news is most of the hate crimes here are not involving lethal weapons so in my opinion if there is no gun you can pretty much deal with it, right? Just avoid walking alone at night and try to walk in a group if possible.

Take the job and don't worry my friend :) Good luck!

Thanks all for the positive feed back which really gave me confident to accept the offer.I hope i meet u all when i gets relocated to Kiev.

Hi Sudeep,

I don't have first hand knowledge of any racism incidents or discrimination.

What I can tell you:

1. I see quite a few foreign people every day in Kiev. Only reason I know they they are Foreign is because they are either different looking or dressing, or I hear them speaking unbroken English. I usually see Africans, Asians, etc. easily due to physical appearance, other foreigners are easily spotted due to differences in clothing and mannerisms. In general, you will not face Racism, you will face Apathy. Try not to confuse the two :).

2. I know of a few international marriages/relationships. Whether that is an option for you depends on you as a person...People here are interested in learning about people of different cultures, so you might end up with a little celebrity status based on being Indian :) If by social you mean will you meet/be interesting to Ukrainian girls? Again, that depends on you as a person...women here are no different than women anywhere else in a general sense...

Good luck - the only regrets you will have in old age are of the things you did not do.

Hi Sudeep!

Don`t is it still useful for you, but situation in Ukraine is not so bad as articles or reviews describe.
I`m native, so please, trust my words, there is nothing scary here for Indian people or from any other country.
Most of Ukrainians are nice for foreigners and here is no problem of racism. So come to Ukraine and work here for so long as you wish :)

trust me - not so bad as they say in the news.

i got mugged by a ukranian in kiev showing swastika locket and crying fascist and white supremacy. good lord save the country. i hope all people are not the same. so bad people standing nearby had no guts to intervene.

i am so sorry but thats what i thought about your country, before i got mugged by a group ofguys displaying swastikas and calling white power. was nazi germany so nice to you,,,,,, or we so bad to you... my company gives employment to 250 ukranians... i dont know how to treat them now. but may be i cant stoop to these levels and try and forget the issue....... but can you guys do that i really wonder? good lord have mercy on us...........

I think the issue can not be looked at that simply. Ukrainians are not racist as such - they are citizens of a country that has been isolated for years, so interaction with foreigners has been  limited as well.

It is not like in the west where many cultures mix freely. However...violent crime - Ukrainians are still far from that. Just look up my other posts on this matter, but generally keep in mind that Ukraine is one of the most tolerant places in the region, even if limited in some ways.

PS. A girl who wrote here about standing out as a blonde in India is absolutely right - think about it.

ud been stared at in awe i dont understand indians are obsessed with white skin you would definately be safe here i can assure you

pranam sir u are wrong....pl come on skype my id is premkiev
my email prem.singh@mail.ru