How does Kiev see Americans?

Hello, I've been hard at work trying to find a vacation spot for about 3 weeks out of the USA. I've heavily considered Kiev, but I've gotten mixed reviews on how Americans are viewed and treated in Ukraine. Can anyone help me out with any local opinions or personal experience?

Provide us with the list of your concerns and we will comment on every one of them.

In general Americans are viewed and treated in Ukraine like hollywood stars:)

Haha I hope your right.
Saftey is number one, I dont know how much of a target we are there.  Also, we plan on learning a little bit of Ukrainian but how many people are bilingual in Ukraine?

Thanks for the help.

You are going to Kiev, right? I see from your avatar you are a young man. Most people of your age have basic English skills. I have a number of friends living in Kiev without speaking neither Russian nor Ukrainian. I do not think this is good but they survive somehow so you should survive either.  However get a dictionary or phrasebook if you can.

Thankyou. Is there any other places you can recommend for young men like us to have a good time? That doesn't always have to mean a pub. We have a blast as long as we are in good company.

Do you mean in Kiev or other cities/places in Ukraine?

just in kiev

There are lots of museums, churches, parks, there is the Dnipro river with all active sports activities on it… But anyway, having 3 weeks for vacation I would better mix Kiev with some other places of the country.

I'm all open for suggestions. What kind of towns/cities should I look into?

People like Lviv. It has an old European architecture like in the movie about the three musketeers.
I would go from Lviv to Chernivtsi and Kamyanets-Podilskiy. They are similar to Lviv but have their own attractions including old fortresses.
You also can visit a former nuclear weapon military base. It is a museum now. It is worth of visit. You will get a chance to push "the red button" (which is actually not red).
Odessa is called the Ukrainian Las Vegas. I can neither confirm nor deny this. However Odessa has its unique history that can be seen through unique buildings and streets. Plus it is located on a seaside.
From there I would go to Yalta. It is the famoust touristic town in Ukraine with subtropical climate, mountains and the Black Sea.

You can do your own search, ask other people, etc. I just mentioned some, and not all, places I know. I'm sure there are lots of other things to visit, see and do here.

You are going to spend 3 weeks in Ukraine? I would recommend you to mix Kyiv with other Ukrainian cities as GreyKyiv said. You can have really great trip around country for the time you plan to spend here.  As an example you can look for the suggested tour here so you can understand what we are talking about. Traveling through Ukraine can be a real adventure for you. ;)
And it absolutely safe so you don't have to worry to much about it. :D