How to overcome homesickness to foreign land?

I know each one of us are experiencing this kind of feeling and this is very normal to every expatriates.  Everytime I had this feeling, I see to it I keep myself busy and be sure to be with friends to have a light mood with them, just to past the time chatting and laughing over simple things, so this feeling wont get into my nerves. So can you share your thoughts about this and what do you usually do to overcome homesickness?

Get out of the house, make friends and make an effort. Homesickness is an ailment of lazyness.

Josnuggles wrote:

Get out of the house, make friends and make an effort. Homesickness is an ailment of lazyness.

:up:

But you know, it's very easy to give that advice if you're living in Bahrain.

The thing in KSA is that after a few months, many people fall into a kind of malaise that they can't break out of :(

Any of you near Cornish Park?

Alliecat wrote:

The thing in KSA is that after a few months, many people fall into a kind of malaise that they can't break out of :(

I have friends living in Saudi and they do just fine. It you get into a "malaise" then it's your own fault for not making an effort. Sorry but that is the truth. Get out and do stuff!!

Josnuggles wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

I have friends living in Saudi and they do just fine. It you get into a "malaise" then it's your own fault for not making an effort. Sorry but that is the truth. Get out and do stuff!!

Nice attitude but not everybody is like you or your friends.  So much depends on your living accommodations and job.

I believe Homesickness is something we can never get rid off!!
We just keep doing the things we love and be content with what we do and the things around us, that we can minimize the feeling at least.

Home is home in end :D

Actually, what Josnuggles is true.

Let me tell you a little story. It's obvious that I'm Saudi, but I lived in the States from 2004-2012. I called the US 'home' at one point because that's where I really found myself and kinda grew up. Then I came back to Saudi in May (not by choice) and BOOM, there's nothing to do. My friends from high school and cousins are still here but obviously our lives veered in different directions due to jobs and stuff. It was really depressing (not sure what the opposite of homesick is. Coz Saudi is home after all).

Then I realized that the more I talk to my friends back in the States, the more depressed I get . I stopped my everyday skype sessions with them and started going out. Not necessarily with other people, but just to go out and see how life goes here, it gives better ideas on what activities to do. And eventually you'll meet new people. The only reason I registered in this Forum is to see what you guys do. And let me tell you I got some cool ideas from others on here.

I started going finishing in Dammam and Khobar and ended up meeting other people who also go fishing (guess what, lots of them are Philippinos). So maybe you should try that. I know you guys love fishing.

I also started going out with my co-workers to Dhahran and Khobar or even Jubail. Play basketball, volleyball or soccer.

Anything. Just anything. Try to go out and do things and eventually you'll adopt.

Good Luck!!

Also try to go to Bahrain. It helps a lot lol (:

@Mustafa  Good post!  Rather than talking about laziness, you gave some concrete ideas.  Fishing is a great way to spend time (of course, you've got to have transportation--or can you get into a cab and tell the driver, 'take me to a fishing hole'? lol).

Mustafa, where do you play volleyball? I've been trying to find indoor volleyball clubs (for expats) which perhaps I can join.

By the way, is there any wrestling clubs here in Dammam or Khobar? I've been doing wrestling with my friend at home.  :)  I'm not a professional. I'm just a fan of UFC (never of WWF), and I feel like wrestling gives me an opportunity to release stress.

I've tried bowling, billiards and fishing, but they just aren't for me.

On the other hand, Saudi Arabia is a fertile land where electro-mechanical engineers abound. Isn't anyone interested in robotics? I've always wanted to see robot fights. Refer to link below for an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhpghRM1Dyo

I'm sure it'll make an interesting hobby for the geeks.