Best (DDI) celphone service

Currently visiting Rio in conjunction with my job. Want to stay in touch with family and colleagues in the USA via my cell phone.

In the past, when I would visit another country, I would purchase a pay-as-you-go SIM card and use it in my unlocked GSM phone. This has worked extremely well throughout Europe.

I'm not having success thus far in duplicating this same process in Rio. For the most part I suspect this has to do with my limited command of the language...hence my listing on this forum.

I did speak with an extremely helpful "TIM" salesman in Copacobana the other day who was ready to sell my his SIM chip, but was concerned with the expense associated with the long distance calls.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Simply put. which cell service providef in Rio has the best deal on long distance service between Rio and the USA?
I'd also appreciate any suggestions on the same type service between Rio and western Europe.

Thanks...oops...obrigado!   in advance.

John

Hello Juan,

You'd probably have much better success and it would certainly be much less expensive to buy one of the various pre-paid DDI phone cards on sale almost everywhere and place your calls to the USA by public telephones.

You're going to find that the charges for international calls through any of the mobile service providers here in Brazil will put you into the poorhouse before too long. With the pre-paid cards you won't be in for any unpleasant surprises.

Chances are too that the voice quality of the connection will be better as well.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm afraid that you are right as far as the trip to the "poorhouse". My research thus far indicates that cellphone DDI rates in Brazil are significantly more expensive than anywhere else in the world I've traveled.

Bringing any of my other service and using that service as a "roamer" is definitely a no-go.

I've already discovered the "big ear" public phones; a value, but not really as convenient as a personal cell phone.

Thanks again, I'll keep looking.

John

Hi John,

No problem dude (as they love to say in the USA)!!!

One tip, if you are using a public telephone to make your DDI calls it always a lot better and comfortable if you can find one in a hotel, restaurant or some indoor location away from noise and where you may even be able to sit down if you're lucky.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I would recommend Skype, if you have access to a computer.

just loaded skype and magic jack onto the Iphone. I'm sure they'll both work from within the wifi cocoon of my hotel.
I just hate to be tethered to confines of that wifi umbrella.
Here's the real whine. When I'm sent to any of the european destinations, I can call all over the world for practically nothing. In contrast, when I'm in the US or now apparently in Brazil, my calls are exorbitantly expensive.
John

Yep John, from Brazil better have the family calling us from there.

Whatsapp application is very nice if you have internet on your phone. Its like instant text message but uses internet, and its pretty user friendly.