Vivo SIM card activation

So as we all know, you need to have a CPF to activate a SIM card. Which automatically disqualifies most tourists, unless they get a CPF well in advance (like up to a year), because we've also established that a new CPF won't be working (to activate a SIM) for quite a while.

But lucky me, i have one, and after more than 6 months, it finally is getting recognized by the different operator's registration processes. So today i got myself a new VIVO chip, because the cellular network is quite bad where I'm residing, i wanted to give VIVO a try as well (i already have a TIM and a Claro). But VIVO has chosen to go a step further: during the registration, not only do you have to upload a selfie, but also pictures of an ID, front and back. No problem, i have a Swiss passport and an ID, so I take pictures of them. It doesn't say right away what type of ID, so I'm trying with the passport first, no success, it won't even take the pictures (you can't just take a pic and upload it, even though it says that you can. But whatever option you choose, the process continues to a page which opens the camera, and then you have to align your documents within a frame). That worked so badly it literally took me dozens of tries, with different backgrounds and lighting…but all of sudden it worked (with my ID) and I got the next error message: the only accepted documents are RG, CNH, CTPS, OAB or CRNM.

So this means that you have to be a resident to activate a new VIVO SIM, right? Or can you get any of these without being a resident?

I've been traveling in quite a few countries, so far Brazil is the only one which makes it difficult to get a SIM card for tourists and travelers. I'm sure there are others, but why wouldn't they make this as easy as possible? You can force people to register with their passport numbers, if that is important. But Why? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense…

Sorry to hear about your troubles. For what it's worth, I had to jump through the same hoops (selfie, photo ID, etc) with Claro recently, except I was able to do it with my CPF and my US Passport wallet card.

I remember when I bought my TIM prepaid SIM card, using a recently issued CPF, and it was a bit of a pain. I was going through the activation steps, which involved providing a CPF number and other details. However, a few days later, my line was deactivated without any notice or message. I had to contact TIM several times until I finally got it fixed.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. For what it's worth, I had to jump through the same hoops (selfie, photo ID, etc) with Claro recently, except I was able to do it with my CPF and my US Passport wallet card.
-@ibdegen

That is surprising, since I got an error message where it was stated that only the documents I mentioned are acceptable/valid. I even took a screenshot because I couldn't have remembered them all.

I hope your SIM card doesn't get deactivated again later.

Folks @ Vivo ( my experience with post paid ) are quite anal about |ID validation. 

For good reason.  Too much spoofing on cell phone numbers in Brazil.   

TIM, Claro, they could care less.    I had them both in the past. 

Even Vivo has its share of issues with spoofing ( aka cloning ). 

@Kurterino I hope not also, but my main phone has been up and running for several months and my backup phone for around two to three months. I got a third SIM from Claro for another phone about a month ago and it activated fine as well, but the number had been recycled from a spammer and I received nuisance calls all times during the day and night, and was blocked on Viber because it was blacklisted. Claro refused to give me a refund.  Oh yes, before Claro I tried TIM, but my CPF had not been listed in their system even though it was listed as regular on the CPF website and in Claro's system.

@sprealestatebroker

Hi there , just got on the expat.

Been living here in Brazil for last six years and currently  living outside of Arez; south of Natal. ; We saw your post; It is pretty much everything we experienced here so far plus more. I'm not Brazilian, I was raised in the United States. I have a masters license in electrical in New Mexico. We thought your post was from Natal.That's okay I hope. It may  because most the post that we saw were very old. I understand your frustration and hesitation. I was contacting you because I was hoping to make some ex-pat acquaintances nearby. I speak little Portuguese.

@peanutme Hi - I think you are close to Pipa? Been there many times, love it! We have been living on the island of Itamaracá for 16 years (originally from the UK), so if you find yourself in our area... do not hesitate!

Am I correct to say that you're just above Recife?

The same goes for you, if you come up to Pipa. We are only about 45 minutes north of it ; probably less if you stay on the 101 coming from your place.

let's stay in touch J….

@sprealestatebroker
Hi there , just got on the expat.
Been living here in Brazil for last six years and currently living outside of Arez; south of Natal. ; We saw your post; It is pretty much everything we experienced here so far plus more. I'm not Brazilian, I was raised in the United States. I have a masters license in electrical in New Mexico. We thought your post was from Natal.That's okay I hope. It may because most the post that we saw were very old. I understand your frustration and hesitation. I was contacting you because I was hoping to make some ex-pat acquaintances nearby. I speak little Portuguese.
-@peanutme

The bulk of Electrical work you can do anywhere. But in here, as well elsewhere, you need a license to practice your trade. 

if your papers are in order, my suggestion is that you locate your nearest SENAI ( Public, rather Industry Subsidized Trade School Network. ).

Even if you have your masters electrician license, it has no value in Brazil, outside of moonlighting for friends and family,, therefore getting beer & cigarette's money.   

Here's where to find them....

https://www.senai.br.    I pulled through Google and was redicrected to Sao Paulo's SENAI Portal. 

https://www.sp.senai.br/

You can enroll in most of any type of Blue Collar  trade classes, be it

electrical, plumbing, CNC programming, CAD, Robotics, PLC ( that's Programing Logic Controller for Industrial Machinery ). Building Trades ( there is Building & Facilities and there is Industrial Machinery ), HVAC, Metal Working, Body Shop Repair, Auto Mechanic, Welding, Chemical, Shoe Making.  Cabinet Making, Computer Programing.....

Most of them carry a symbolic fee.  The system is in place since late 50's to address working skills shortages in an era where Brazil underwent a fast paced industrialization and urbanization. 

|It is sponsored by a mix of Government and Private Sector contributions and grants.   Well equipped workshops, motivated instructors.   

@warnersmith323 Sorry, I guess I am the official Outlier here. I have been married to this enormously street smart Brazilian wife for almost 25 years and even when we lived in the United States she specialized in making the impossible possible.  We now live in a small village in Northeastern Brazil and I can tell you I have a phone with a VIVO sim card without any of the ID. you mention.

Just as a tip, you really need to find a Brazilian friend to get you through these things. It is extremely hard doing it as just the resident Americano. I even have a Man Friday to drive me around and help with repairs at the house. No matter how much Portuguese you know or culture you are familiar with you will always be at a disadvantage without a Brazilian by your side.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

FYI. I met my wife in a Brazilian Church in Chevy Chase, MD. 25 years ago and she is bilingual. Our only daughter who lives in MD. is a Brazilian Citizen, has a Brazilian passport and besides Portuguese and English speaks Spanish fluently. You need some Native Help!!!!

"Num da pra dar um jeitinho" or something along those lines kkkkkkkkkkk

Same as Roddie, married 22 years to a Carioca, had cellphones in Brasil way before I had my residency.

If you live in an apartment, get to know your head porteiro like your best friend. It's amazing what you can accomplish sometimes when you need to. They know everything.