Moving to Brazil with a UK TV?

Hi everyone,

My first post here. I am moving from UK to Brazil next month and plan to buy a new TV before I go because they are multiples more expensive in Brazil.
However, other than the power socket adapter, are there any other considerations when it comes to the TV working and picking up local broadcasts?

Many thanks.

Brazil and the UK both use PAL, so you should be ok.  Samsung has a list on their Support site of which countries use PAL, NTSC, or SECAM.
Voltage in some Brazilian cities is 110v, 220v in others.  Sometimes, it differs by neighborhood within the same city.  So make sure your TV can handle both.

Moved to Brazil recently from the USA and after much investigation ,I just bought a TV here . I'm not sure of the format used in the UJK , so i'd not speculate . Do some due diligence and know what your TV is , before you take it here (my opinion) . The format used in Brazil is different and iirc the Mhz used in the signal is different . iirc 50/60 Mhz . IIRC Brazil uses PAL N &M formats plus a Digital standard only for Brazil (iirc) .  I was able to find converter boxes to do the conversion (online in the States), But I couldn't find much (online) as to the reliability and longevity . So I just felt it would be better to buy 1 that was made for this Market . Duel voltage devices(uses either 120 or 220V) is called "bi-volt" (here)and is posted in the tech specs , if you look that far .
Depending on where you are in Brazil (from my exp. and I'm not near the big cities) use surge protectors . Power outages are common where I am and the protection I bought and brought here have already done their job ,multi times.
Hope this helped a bit

I brought one from US. Be sure to have receipt. Only allowed $500 for personal items. They can assess 50% tax on anything over the limit.
The TV worked fine with SKY and can switch to local channels.

UP date , It looks as if buying my TV here was a HUGE mistake ...And a very $$$ mistake .... 65" Samsung QLED Only been used for ~ 3months now and is ~ non functioning ( picture dies within 3 minutes of 1st start up) then even faster for each re-start ...
So At the price I paid to have the Warranty in Brazil . just in case It needed service .... Happened . Now Getting Samsung to fix it . is appearing to be a huge problem .. Called multi times last week and still can't get an appointment  to get a service tech to come to me ... Which is part of their service ....

Short story is  , I'd beware of buying Samsung and , might be better bringing it with you , if your moving here , using a convertor and keeping the extra cash in the bank .... I think having a $4,500.00 (American , and no I ain't rich)  paper weight , is ,,,,well,,, I'm sure you get the idea ....
More to this story soon . Thanks for having a wife who fluent in Portuguese and google translate LOL !!! The fun never ends LOL!!

Jamman

Sounds like you might have the same problem we had with ours. The tech came to our house and turned the cable around that comes from the power supply. Works fine ever since.

Jim

jland912 ,

I wish my problem was that "easy" . I'm pretty good with stuff like this . I was a mechanic for over 20 years . Not cars , but I also did Motorcycle mechanic work , plus specialized work , which I don't get into online .  I tried Everything ...
Nice to see you got your situation resolved ....
Mine "should " be getting resolved by the end of this month ...

Update to my "story " is , 2 Fridays ago ,IIRC , My wife Calls Magazine Luiza to  find out what the disposition was to their offer to "help" and possibly swap this defective TV for a new 1 was .
They offered to do just that and pick up the defective TV this week . A new 1 is being shipped and we were told it would take 25 days ~ to be delivered . Sounds good to me and I couldn't ask for more .... 

Kicker ,,,,  about 15 minutes later ,Samsung Calls ...finally ,after weeks of waiting and 2 appointments (they never showed up ,never called  or emailed to cancel) they told us they would send a tech here this week to "fix" the TV ... So I asked , and they heard me (in English) what would make me think they would how up this time ? and no Since I already accepted an offer form the store to exchange  it for a new 1 ..Why would i want to do that ????
2 strikes and your out ....
So again it's wait and see , but if the new tv turn out to be defective . The other methods of recourse will be taken . I've already notified my Bank /CC about the problem ,which since I paid with a CC the Warranty is doubled  to 2 Years ... And there is recourse in Brazil . There is an agency that handles these types of issues . And (from what I've been told hands out penalties to the companies for damages to the customer ( like double the purchase price) . I don't care about or am looking to make $$ . I just want a TV that works .... and works for years , as any TV should .... If it doesn't ... I'll go out and buy an LG ...Prices have become very competitive , and imo , Anything is better then what Samsung is producing at this time ....
Live and Learn ....