Questions about getting PR while overseas - USC married to SGC

Hello!

As mentioned, I am a US Citizen and my husband is a Singapore Citizen. We are in the US for the next year, until he finishes school. Our plan is to get my PR while we are still in the States so I can work once we arrive in Singapore. Although I'm having trouble finding information on this.

Anyone who knows/has experience:

- Approximately how long does it take to receive permanent residency while overseas?

- Will we have to go to a consulate here in the US for interviews, etc.?

- Do you still need the entry permits if you're coming into the country with a spouse who is a citizen?

- Are there additional costs on top of what is shown on the SG govt. website?

Entry permit : S$100
Re-Entry Permit : S$10 per year
Visa Fee : $30 per issue (for foreigners requiring a visa)

We just recently went through the immigration process for the US so my husband is now a US PR. However, we had a lawyer so they helped walk us through. The SG process is unfamiliar to us both so any informed input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hello deepXpurple and welcome to expat-blog,

I invite you to go through forum Singapore - visas, you will maybe find some answers there.

Hopefully our members will come with some answers.

Melissa

It is very unlikely that you will get a PR before having lived in Singapore for a while (2-3 years) - unless you are in a very sought-after profession or you have a son who also applies for PR (and then is liable for military service).
Basically, your husband should get a Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) for you (he'll have to earn above S$3000/month to qualify for this) and when you find a job, the employer will apply for an EP.
There's also an LTVP+, which allows work on LoC (=> no EP needed), but I think you only qualify for this after living in Singapore for two years (AND being married to a citizen).