A book every educator MUST read

There is a audio book I have insisted my partners listen to, we can actually read, called That Used to Be Us. How America Fell Behind in the World It Invented and How We Can Come Back by Thomas L. Friedman and Michael Mandelbaum.

The book, written two or three years ago, predicted a transference of knowledge would happen, following America's decline in so many areas of education, etc.

You can download it from Torrentz.eu - get the audio book version, it's so much easier to follow - believe me it's a must read.

I think I'll stick with Harmer, Thornbury, Pinker and the rest of the English language acquisition/teaching gurus, unless there's a Cliff Notes version.

I'd suggest that you read up on the difference between the TOEFL and a TESOL!

Obviously you haven't a clue as to what it's about.

Educate yourself: < https://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/book … d=all&_r=0 >.

Jaitch wrote:

- get the audio book version, it's so much easier to follow - believe me it's a must read.

Wouldn't suggesting the audio version make it a "must listen", or a "must listen to?"?

I'm not going to say "I'd rather educate myself than have you do it?"  "When is your student going to take the TESOL and how long has he been studying to be a teacher, instead of preparing to take an entrance exam that gauges his English language abilities?"

Saying something like that would be rude, so I won't do it. I promised my mother I'd be nice!

I got a copy of this book (printed) given to me when I was headed out here a year and a bit past.

It explains how the American education system is failing, why that country is going down the hole, and how this (Oriental) part of the world is taking over.

One example was a case  where an escalator was taking almost a year in the Washington (capital) had taken almost a year to repair and in China they had built a WHOLE convention centre in double the time the Americans took to fix the escalator.

This book should get every red-blooded American popping because the truth hurts.

The book is a 'dry' read. I can see why listenng is an easier way to digest it. May be I will get me a copy and go through it again. Can get boring waitng for fish to bite.

If you want a copy of the audio version, I can slung a copy up on one of my servers for you.

Vietnam = America's #2 trade partner.
America = Vietnam's #1 trade partner.

I'm sure that the 2 of you would would dance with glee were America to fail, but do you think that you, or anyone reading this, wouldn't be affected?  I'm not proud to say it, but if the US goes down we all go down, including China.

Did your reading include the number of fatalities that occurred during the construction of the building RM? You know the Chinese motto - "Hey, it's just people...we can make more!"

Disillusioning people is fun and all, but you know the old saying about leading a horse to water.... 

Around here, America is still the great good guy, like in the movies.  The movies tell it like it is. My confirmation bias tells me so!  :P

Teacher Mark wrote:

... I'm sure that the 2 of you would would dance with glee were America to fail, but do you think that you, or anyone reading this, wouldn't be affected?  I'm not proud to say it, but if the US goes down we all go down, including China...

I guess I would be saying you don't have too much knowedge about important things.

JaitcH is an American citizen, if I remember. the books two authors are reknowned American writers. It's not about America going down, but how to restore things.

If America goes down, it's out. The Chinese still have food. Vietnam is self-supporting except for some electrical power. And it managed fine without the US for 25 years until Clinton came over and ate pho noodles.

Aquameo wrote:

Disillusioning people is fun and all, but you know the old saying about leading a horse to water.... 

Around here, America is still the great good guy, like in the movies.  The movies tell it like it is. My confirmation bias tells me so!

I thought America won the war here in Vietnam, I was wondering how come it wasn't like Perto Rica.

WorzelGummidge wrote:
Teacher Mark wrote:

... I'm sure that the 2 of you would would dance with glee were America to fail, but do you think that you, or anyone reading this, wouldn't be affected?  I'm not proud to say it, but if the US goes down we all go down, including China...

I guess I would be saying you don't have too much knowedge about important things.

JaitcH is an American citizen, if I remember. the books two authors are reknowned American writers. It's not about America going down, but how to restore things.

If America goes down, it's out. The Chinese still have food. Vietnam is self-supporting except for some electrical power. And it managed fine without the US for 25 years until Clinton came over and ate pho noodles.

ERRRR ????  Not quite - think you'll find 'Jaitch' is a Canadian - not an American.  :P
That's somewhat like calling a Vietnamese person ' Chinese ' - and saying that can sometimes get you the same results - FIREWORKS ! :lol:

Flip,
Jaitch's profile states he is Canadian, but he has also stated in other forum threads that he "holds an American passport". So that's probably where the "Jaitch is an American citizen" comment came from. Maybe Jaitch can clear it up for all of us.... Jaitch?

:gloria

:gloria