Commuting between Bahrain and Khobar

sorry for double posting, please delete one.

Hi,

I've been for a while in Khobar and decided to move to Bahrain and live there while keep working in Khobar. I already found an apartment in Manama, and will move in in 2 weeks.
Qs:

1. Is there a way of saving on bridge toll... 4BD each day piles up, is there a monthly ticket, or similar? And if yes, where do I get it?
2. On similar topic, there is an insurance fee every time I go to Bahrain of 2.5BD. Is there some kind of permanent charge, not daily charge? Also, how to get it.
3. I work from 9 to 6, how much time should I leave for traveling at those times (concerned on que at border)
4. Is there anything else I should be concerned, know about it...

now few Bahrain only related questions:

is there any roads where one can bike (bicycle)?
Is there a bicycle or triathlon club in Bahrain?
Any other expats sports organized (football, softball...)?

Thank you very much.

1- no, you will have to pay 4bd daily. my company refunds me the amount upon submitting the receipts. if so, dont forget to ask for a receipt from the toll booth.
2- the insurance is usually valid for 3 days. thats the only way you can save that. also submit it to your company to be re-embursed. specially if you have a company car.
3- daily basis, the commute usually takes half an hour each way. just remember to leave work around 3pm on wednesday if you want to avoid the weekend croud.

no idea about the club, but im sure there are some out there.

Cheers btbm, helpful info.

borntobemild wrote:

1- no, you will have to pay 4bd daily. my company refunds me the amount upon submitting the receipts. if so, dont forget to ask for a receipt from the toll booth.

When I googled, I found that you can actually get a toll ticket booklet, and usually runs cheaper than paying every time.  Do any of you have an idea about this?

flying_circus:  Now that you've been doing the daily commute for a while, have you found out when's the best hour for the shortest time to get across?

Yes, on Saudi side (on stand alone kiosk in that food/bank/parking area) you can get a card that is valid for 50 trips. The price is 850SAR, so you save 150SAR. the one time fee for the card applies (25SAR). As for insurance, I bought 1 year insurance for 600SAR.
In the morning usually Bahrain border is great, but Saudi border can knock of about 20 minutes of your time. On the way back, it's half an hour minimum up 'til 2 hours on Wednesday, but since I work 'til 5 (recently changed from 6) I guess I get into that rush hour.

flying_circus:  That's not a lot of savings, is it?  Do you know if anyone carpools?  I tried the search & classifieds, but could not find any information.  Unfortunately, my company is not supporting the idea and so, I'll have to suck up any costs.

don't know anyone carpooling. It's hard as sometimes I stay longer at work, sometimes I stay in Khobar to do stuff, sometimes I rush to Bahrain for some reason, and I see how it wouldn't work if I would have to wait for someone or make someone wait because of me...

flying_cricus: My company is being a pain in the a** and won't let me commute, arghh.  I guess I'll have to be contempt with the weekend trips for now.  Thanks for all the info.

no problem mate. But how can they stop you of living wherever you want as long as you come to work on time?

flying_circus, some companies hold the passports of their workers in Saudi Arabia. Since he will need his passport to cross the bridge, he won't be able to do that. Maybe that's his case...