The Sampeah (Thai Wai)

So you leave your condo and start walking around in Phnom Penh. Your out all day. How many times and where would locals greet you with the Sampeah. And do you out of common courtesy reciprocate 100% of the time? If you go to an interview and the interviewer is a local, do you greet with the Sampeah or just shave hands? Inquiring minds want to know.

what is the meaning of sampeah ?

Aaliyah01 wrote:

what is the meaning of sampeah ?

when you put your palms together towards another person.

honestly, i rarely do it, usually only if i am meeting a friend's parents. for me, i'll put it at my chin for the parents and a little bit higher for grandparents.

in an interview.. i would shake hands, and if they give me sampeah i'll return it.

what is the meaning behind it  though...

all i really know is that it's a sign of respect, whether it's as a greeting or an apology.

aham.. ok

I read on the net today about a Wai / Sampeah issue. It appears there are 2 Sampeah's in Cambodia. One is with your fingers touching, but the palm of your hands DO NOT touch. If you give a Sampeah to helpers, you then unite your fingers and palms, holding your hands tightly together. Good to know so we don't insult a local do to lack of knowledge on this issue.