Laptop computer repair?

Is there a "best laptop brand" computer for Ecuador?  We are about to purchase a laptop computer before we move to Ecuador and realized it would do no good to purchase a warranty.

Can a HP laptop get repaired there?

Thanks, Tracie

I'm reviving this six-year-old thread as it's the closest existing thread I could find to the topic of laptop purchases in Ecuador.

I am delighted with the purchase I made in Quito one week ago at the MundoMac (MacWorld) Store at QuiCentro shopping mall. :)   

It's a 13-inch MacPro I got for $1,490.  The size is no problem as there is ample opportunity to enlarge the screen images and text. 

The listed price was about $1,800 including tax .. but when I asked for a discount, they shocked me with a $300-plus price reduction, later explaining that it was the only discounted computer in the store in a current sales promotion.  Unaware Gringos who don't know to ask for discounts in Ecuador .. get to pay the $1,800 price.

The Mac has solved every problem I encountered with a new HP laptop I purchased elsewhere in Quito earlier this year.  The HP is so clunky that I decided to replace it as my primary computer after less than six months' use.  It was a $500 purchase at Super*Paco.

My ISP, Movistar, hit me up for a $156 modem purchase to get me online with the newer computer, as my Movistar PC modem was incompatible with the unit.

cccmedia in Quito

TheIrvines wrote:

Can an HP laptop get repaired there?

Thanks, Tracie

Tracie, from the year 2009, if you're still paying attention :cool: .. yes, computers made by HP and the other major brands can be repaired here in Quito.

There are many more places that repair PCs than Macs.  There's a Mac/Apple sales and repair center at Avenida América in the Plaza de las Américas shopping mall in north Quito.  A bi-lingual staffer from Chicago named Patricio was extremely helpful to me this week at that location, which is conveniently located across Avenida América from a major (ISP) Movistar center.

cccmedia in 2015

Hi
Does anyone know a place either in Loja or close by which repairs CD players¿  I know that is ancient technology to most of you, but it took me 2 stores and yes, a nuclear scientist )my neighbour) to get it to run in Canada.  It quit after one day in Vilca.

HelenPivoine

Better late than never,

We use a very good Tech who will come to your home in "Quito", he does great work and does not charge half of what Best Buys "Geek Squad" would.

If you need his contact information, send me an PM. I would not want to get a "Time Out", for advertising...

message deleted

message deleted

message deleted