Advice with opening a bank account

I am moving to Malta in 3 weeks time and need some advice with opening a bank account with HSBC. What documentation will I need to take with me etc? Also, does anyone know if it would be free of charge to transfer money from a UK HSBC account to a Maltese HSBC account, as it is using the same bank?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

It's not free of charge unfortunately, but it is cheaper to transfer HSBC to HSBC than to a different bank.

plus its not as cheap to do so as it used to be four months ago - they have now brought their charges for transfers into line with all other major banks. Its sad to say and strange that you can get a better exchnage rate for sterling in the corner shops in Qawra than your bank offers....

thanks for the replys :) would you have any suggestions as the cheapest way to do it?x

Unless you plan to transfer large sums of cash (in which case you would probably use the foreign exchange companies such as torFX, travelex, moneycorp, etc) - its sometimes just as easy to use an atm or maybe initially load one of those cash cards with euros (from fairfx or travelex) as these can be used just the same as any other credit/debit card and can even be used to draw cash upto the total on the card without charges.....i gues it woudl be wise to just check with your bank to see what they would charge you for a regular cash exchange service..

that sounds good, I wasn't too sure about the prepaid card as I assumed you would be charged to use it as you would a British debit card.

Thanks for your help :)

you need a currency exchange broker like someone mentioned previously. I didn't need to use them but it seems some of them are reliable. When you compare, this is the only cheapest way for transferring money. Otherwise, ask your Uk bank to give you exchange rates and do what's the best for u.