Who asked you to come to KSA?

I have noticed a lot of expatriates moan and whine about the KSA.. the lifestyle and how boring it is. They complain non stop when they get together about the arabs...ladies having to wear the abaya etc.

Most of the expatriates have come to the Kingdom on their own free will.. no arab has forced them to sign the contract. There is plenty of internet advice and reviews to warn anyone who wont be able to tolerate the laws and customs of the Coutry.

A lot of the men keep complaining they are so bored and lonely because they are not free to have a girlfriend... well, you're all in the wrong country. If you want the free lifestly and feel so negative about the Kingdom.. why sacrifice your freedom for money... because ultimately it is for money that expats are here.  Seriously its a choice.. if you dont like termintate your contract and head home.. if you dont like Islam or arabs and feel the need to badmouth the faith and people all the time you gather together then head home....simple as that!.

Zazai wrote:

I have noticed a lot of expatriates moan and whine about the KSA.. the lifestyle and how boring it is. They complain non stop when they get together about the arabs...ladies having to wear the abaya etc.

Most of the expatriates have come to the Kingdom on their own free will.. no arab has forced them to sign the contract. There is plenty of internet advice and reviews to warn anyone who wont be able to tolerate the laws and customs of the Coutry.

A lot of the men keep complaining they are so bored and lonely because they are not free to have a girlfriend... well, you're all in the wrong country. If you want the free lifestly and feel so negative about the Kingdom.. why sacrifice your freedom for money... because ultimately it is for money that expats are here.  Seriously its a choice.. if you dont like termintate your contract and head home.. if you dont like Islam or arabs and feel the need to badmouth the faith and people all the time you gather together then head home....simple as that!.

I agreed right down to your last sentence.  You have never heard anybody on this forum badmouth Islam (or Arabs, for that matter).  We're all very respectful and if you've been reading the forum for any length of time, you'd realize that.

Admittedly some expats become frustrated about the culture and subsequent lifestyle, and it is a huge adjustment for westerners who probably thought they could handle it but found out differently once they got here.  You're not in Kansas anymore, Toto!!  These people usually leave at the end of their contract.

I don't think you are a native Britain, otherwise you would know that the British talk about KSA as we do about the weather back home. It is a way of connecting with people and it gives us an instant topic to talk about, much like the British weather.
My friend you should take all the gripes with a pinch of salt. This  blog exists so that expats have a forum to let off steam.
I would suggest that if you don't like it you should stop visiting this blog.:dumbom:

@sandy  agree.  Plus, when people complain here, if you notice, it's almost always about management (because management skills here are usually abysmal and on occasion deliberately dishonest).  Expats sometimes are promised one thing to come here and when they get here, it's suddenly something else.

Happened to me.  I got here and the hard copy of the contract they presented me with was different than the one I'd been sent online.  It had to do with annual leave time.  When I pointed out the difference, they told me the one they'd sent me was in error!!!!!!!!  Now at that point what could I do?  I'd already left home, sold my car, given away my belongings, rented my house, quit my job ... what could I do other than 'suck it up' ?

Fortunately for me, the difference was something I could live with.  But if it were a big thing, surely it's understandable that people would be resentful.

sandy_storm wrote:

I don't think you are a native Britain, otherwise you would know that the British talk about KSA as we do about the weather back home. It is a way of connecting with people and it gives us an instant topic to talk about, much like the British weather.
My friend you should take all the gripes with a pinch of salt. This  blog exists so that expats have a forum to let off steam.
I would suggest that if you don't like it you should stop visiting this blog.:dumbom:

Spot on. We love a good moan.

i am Pakistani and  got my studies from England , I AM PROUD or u can say more then proud that am Pakistani ..... a country which dont have money and don't have resources but more powerful. more civilized and more advance in infrastructure than any developed country regardless of that there are huge terrorism nowadays , but its haven .
now this lady who is proud to say she is British but didn't sound like native  . if she is Muslim then , she cant say that this is matter of choice , which some one select to come here for ur information madam ,,,, in my sweet Islam we have faith that it is our RIZQ which bring us here .. and every Muslim believe that with out his(creator)  will and order ,we cant move a single step .
now come to the topic .... after having  experience of 7 years i found that Saudis are the good nation and nice human as compare to other Arabs.
but this is fact  that ,,,,,,,,,,this is bore, underdeveloped country(

in term of facilities) and like hell for expats.i can prove to u at any aspect and any matter of employment and daily life issues.
as for as freedom concern its is more open than any other Islamic country. any one can have girlfriend  easily. most of the Arab , British and Asian girls are ready to be gal friends any time . (except Saudi ladies)  and also any sort of  fun like parties dance and drinks are wildly available to any one who want to have this. these are not symbol of freedom.......... may be this is freedom for u but not for others ,, freedom means ,,, freedom of thinking , freedom of expression. freedom of  social life which ur spending in one metro city .. any ways u cant understand . this  because ur here just for money and most of the ppl on this blog are not for money here.they believe that their Destiny AND THEIR RIZQ BROUGHT THEM HERE . ABOVE ALL WE RESPECT SAUDIA as holy place and we respect that our rizq is here for time being.

It is true no one is forced to live or work in Saudia and it is a personal choice to continue or quit but it is also true that there are administrative and local issue which needs significant improvement. We should refrain from dragging religion on blog discussions.

RehabDoctor wrote:

It is true no one is forced to live or work in Saudia and it is a personal choice to continue or quit but it is also true that there are administrative and local issue which needs significant improvement. We should refrain from dragging relegion on blog discussions.

Absolutely agree, both points.

RehabDoctor wrote:

It is true no one is forced to live or work in Saudia and it is a personal choice to continue or quit but it is also true that there are administrative and local issue which needs significant improvement. We should refrain from dragging religion on blog discussions.

Yep, personal choice to stay or leave. And of course, discussion about religion must be strongly discouraged.

About the main topic, Nah! nothing called forced-shut-up-and-put-up-with & there is nothing wrong to share thoughts/worries/concerns on an expatriation based social network like EB. That's what it is made for. If someone doesn't want to know, simply stay away and don't read on.

Wait till I rise to the throne.. :P
Even talking like this can get me a few lashes. Do I like this country ??

id just like a beer now and then... simples.

andsoitis... PM me if u get hold of it... :cheers:

what is heart breaking is that, in order to make beer that is zero alcohol it has to be brewed with alcohol, then it is taken out ? perhaps if we could locate where it is taken too :o)

oh.. and back on topic.. who asked me to come to ksa ? the company who i have the very great pleasure to be working with because they needed someone with my skill set in order to make more money for themselves... i agreed and made a deal that if i do so then perhaps, just perhaps, i would like to be rewarded - its kind of a two way thing ? And YES i researched the culture and challenges and still came... and yes I understood i could get beer ! and yes i accept that there are limitations to what I can and cant do in general... but i still miss beer... id still love the opportunity to go visit some holy sites  such as mecca but cant... (you are more than welcome to visit whatever religious sites you choose in my country) and i would love to be free to sit and chat about cultural difference and how we can live in harmony despite differences over  sheesha and coffee  with my Arabic friends in a coffee bar free from the fear that we will get punished for doing so... the list is endless and will bore the pants off you to be honest.. i cant change the system, wouldnt try... but it does not mean i cant come here and say i simply want a beer :o) If Carlsberg did websites ......

First of all I dont like the title of this topic... its offensive if the moderator can do something abt it much appreciated and second of all I don't have to say anything wat I needed to say is already been told in detail by Alliecat, rehabdoc and legends.. so if someone can close this topic all of us can go back 2 our boring life here (oops now I am complaining :lol:)

galiusman wrote:

First of all I dont like the title of this topic... its offensive if the moderator can do something abt it much appreciated and second of all I don't have to say anything wat I needed to say is already been told in detail by Alliecat, rehabdoc and legends.. so if someone can close this topic all of us can go back 2 our boring life here (oops now I am complaining :lol:)

:one
I totally agree with galiusman. Topic requires to be closed in my opinion too.

Possible that if someone complains about EB, we may have a new thread titled - "Who asked you to come to EB?"

Hence, immediate action is the need of the hour.

:rolleyes:
What is your point @[email protected] ?

Dear Zazai sister, the discussion u started is ur pont of view and should really appriciated, KSA is the most peaceful and developed country in the world, but ur title that who ask u to come to KSA, i think its not suitble, bc u should know that expatriates who are earning here have large contribution in the development of Kingdom.

i totally agree with the guys who said religion should not be the part of our discussion ... ya this is true but all of the religion have faith on destiny and fortune. no buddy read and understand what was the matter of religion .... its was only to inform the lady who said no one stop us to live here ... because all of the religion believe that there is something which is called is  ..... destiny ... any ways im not agree  that this is choice .... i know thousands of guys who r just living here by .

I disagree about closing the topic because do we really need the team to moderate every thing? 

I believe in freedom of speech--let this thread die on its own :)

danish luv wrote:

Dear Zazai sister, the discussion u started is ur pont of view and should really appriciated, KSA is the most peaceful and developed country in the world, but ur title that who ask u to come to KSA, i think its not suitble, bc u should know that expatriates who are earning here have large contribution in the development of Kingdom.

I thought you really liked the thread started by Zazai. Switching sides now ?

Hello all.

You may continue with the discussion but comments on religion are, of course, to be avoided. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Riyadh, or Saudi Arabia is not for everyone. If you pack an open mind and plenty of flexibility, then you might do well inside the Kingdom.

terensu wrote:

Riyadh, or Saudi Arabia is not for everyone. If you pack an open mind and plenty of flexibility, then you might do well inside the Kingdom.

Open mind and flexibility, YES.  But you also need to be extremely patient and rather than getting angry at the red-tape and restrictions, I try to laugh and think to myself, 'only in Saudi Arabia' ! :D

Alliecat wrote:

I try to laugh and think to myself, 'only in Saudi Arabia' ! :D

When the things are trivial you can do that, but not when its a serious concern. When its a matter of exit/job/career, I don't think so you can laugh about it and just forget !! :)

saimans wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

I try to laugh and think to myself, 'only in Saudi Arabia' ! :D

When the things are trivial you can do that, but not when its a serious concern. When its a matter of exit/job/career, I don't think so you can laugh about it and just forget !! :)

You don't know ME. When I'm in a situation I can do nothing about here--and let's face it, the deck is almost always stacked against us when it comes to righting a wrong--if I let myself lose control/lose sleep yada yada yada, don't you see that I've let THEM win?  It's up to YOU how much you allow it to affect you.  I mean, okay, let's say you lose your job for some trumped up reason but do you want to have an ulcer on top of that?  One thing Saudia has taught me is to always have a back-up plan (or two or three!). 

You have NO idea what I've been through in the last 24 hours so I find your comment to me quite amusing ;)

@saimans Let me add to what I said:  the thing to remember in really bad circumstances here is that you had a life before you came here and you'll have a life after you leave here. It's really easy to lose track and think of THIS as your life, but it's not.  For most of us, it's an 'interlude,' a means to an end.

Alliecat wrote:

the thing to remember in really bad circumstances here is that you had a life before you came here and you'll have a life after you leave here. It's really easy to lose track and think of THIS as your life, but it's not.

Good You are going to India, You might find these type of preachers in every corner.

BTW, with your writing and saying, it doesn't seem that you can laugh/smile at things and let it go.

Alliecat wrote:

Since we are talking about freedom of speech...I have a urge to ask this for a long time and thought it would be inappropriate but people in EB ever wondered why Saudi national get payed more salary than we do.. if both of us are in same grade and do same work and i bust my ass and knuckles day in and day out trying to finish my deadlines.... (Sorry this is not to offend anyone or trying to create any problem just venting my thoughts)...

galiusman wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Since we are talking about freedom of speech...I have a urge to ask this for a long time and thought it would be inappropriate but people in EB ever wondered why Saudi national get payed more salary than we do.. if both of us are in same grade and do same work and i bust my ass and knuckles day in and day out trying to finish my deadlines.... (Sorry this is not to offend anyone or trying to create any problem just venting my thoughts)...

that's just how it is. i'm in the same situation as you are. I just have to accept the fact that life is not fair. I will not focus on complaining and thinking of negative stuff. Instead I will just have to deal with it, think of positive things. One question though, If you weren't working here in the Kingdom, would you still earn the same amount if you were working in your own country?

terensu wrote:
galiusman wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

that's just how it is. i'm in the same situation as you are. I just have to accept the fact that life is not fair. I will not focus on complaining and thinking of negative stuff. Instead I will just have to deal with it, think of positive things. One question though, If you weren't working here in the Kingdom, would you still earn the same amount if you were working in your own country?

Yes terensu I have worked before in New Zealand and my salary was more than what I get here... but there is a reason why I left NZ and came here but I was surprised with the salary difference between expats nd saudi's I never knew this before until I came here... where I was in NZ I was paid according to my talent and skill set but here I don't find such a skill set in people who get payed double or sometimes triple than me, that makes me bit annoyed any how I made a commitment to my employers fair or unfair I signed the contract so got to some how live with it till I leave the kingdom......

I would like to firstly apologise for those who took this 'Topic' to heart. I did not intend it for anyone in particular on this forum. I was expressing my thoughts as a whole from my experience with fellow expatriates i have met in my time in KSA and on other forums. Also i am not the only one who has encountered certain negative anti arab comments. As i mentioned especially about The country's faith and customs. It is one thing to express an opinion and have a good old moan (yes like we brits do about the weather), it's another to ridicule their faith and people on a regular basis.

andsoitis
I am not denying that you or anyone else are an asset to the company you work for, nor am i saying that you should not be able to sit and have a decent dialogue about the country's faith and culture and maybe even be given a chance to see some sites. People coming together of all different nations talking about their cultural and religious differences freely is the ultimate freedom. I was talking about those who ridicule...I am british, born and bred, I am well aware of the good old moan about the weather and what have you. I would say the same to people who come to uk and ridicule it 24/7. I am not defending all arabs or KSA (I am not arab).

sandy_storm
Who are you to question my true nativeness? not all brits moan...I am well aware of our culture i was born and bred in GB, I have a proud patriotic English father who served England for more than 50 years, hence i am a native.
you said 'I would suggest that if you don't like it you should stop visiting this blog.'  THANK YOU.. my point exactly about those who 'ridicule' a country that have not been forced to go to. I am not just defending KSA, its just so happens that i work here too, i would say that to people in Britain who come to Britain and bad mouthed its people and country. You missed my point, yet ended with the sentence .... how ironic! I am free to express my opinion just as much as you as free to read and comment.

magnetguy1atyahoodotcom
Whatever you are trying to say im sure you could have said it better.

ghanshyampdave and galusman
This is a forum not a facebook status for you to 'like' it or not. If you didn't like it.. don't read it right?

paradigmshift
I'm sure you are proud to be pakistani, Why wouldn't you be, if you were indian you would be proud to be that too...you choose to be Pakistani, you just happen to be one. You went all over the shop in your comments. I am proud to be British too, why wouldnt i be?. I wouldn't call Pakistan 'haven' right now though..i don't see people flocking to the Pakistani embassy for work Visas lately.

The admin issues within the kingdom are a well know down fall, I have myself experienced certain circumstances that otherwise would seem very simple and straight forward to deal with. However, Aramco have been pretty good with things so far and they pay me way well so i am grateful ;)

I am up for a dialogue and debate about anything. However, i would never put down a nation at the hands of a few..nor would i blashpheme a faith of the country whether i went there on my own free will or not. I would say to those who (not particularly on this forum) but those who want to go to a country as strict as KSA.. to educate themselves about the faith and culture and always have Plan B.. If you're going to sell your home, car and all your belongings and not have Plan B...then Good luck to you!

If you want to take this topic off, feel free... i stand by my topic and it's title.

:lol:TOO MUCH EGO WILL KILL YOUR TALENT:rolleyes:

Zazai wrote:

I would like to firstly apologise for those who took this 'Topic' to heart. I did not intend it for anyone in particular on this forum. I was expressing my thoughts as a whole from my experience with fellow expatriates i have met in my time in KSA and on other forums. Also i am not the only one who has encountered certain negative anti arab comments. As i mentioned especially about The country's faith and customs. It is one thing to express an opinion and have a good old moan (yes like we brits do about the weather), it's another to ridicule their faith and people on a regular basis.

andsoitis
I am not denying that you or anyone else are an asset to the company you work for, nor am i saying that you should not be able to sit and have a decent dialogue about the country's faith and culture and maybe even be given a chance to see some sites. People coming together of all different nations talking about their cultural and religious differences freely is the ultimate freedom. I was talking about those who ridicule...I am british, born and bred, I am well aware of the good old moan about the weather and what have you. I would say the same to people who come to uk and ridicule it 24/7. I am not defending all arabs or KSA (I am not arab).

sandy_storm
Who are you to question my true nativeness? not all brits moan...I am well aware of our culture i was born and bred in GB, I have a proud patriotic English father who served England for more than 50 years, hence i am a native.
you said 'I would suggest that if you don't like it you should stop visiting this blog.'  THANK YOU.. my point exactly about those who 'ridicule' a country that have not been forced to go to. I am not just defending KSA, its just so happens that i work here too, i would say that to people in Britain who come to Britain and bad mouthed its people and country. You missed my point, yet ended with the sentence .... how ironic! I am free to express my opinion just as much as you as free to read and comment.

magnetguy1atyahoodotcom

This is a forum not a facebook status for you to 'like' it or not. If you didn't like it.. don't read it right?

paradigmshift
I'm sure you are proud to be pakistani, Why wouldn't you be, if you were indian you would be proud to be that too...you choose to be Pakistani, you just happen to be one. You went all over the shop in your comments. I am proud to be British too, why wouldnt i be?. I wouldn't call Pakistan 'haven' right now though..i don't see people flocking to the Pakistani embassy for work Visas lately.

The admin issues within the kingdom are a well know down fall, I have myself experienced certain circumstances that otherwise would seem very simple and straight forward to deal with. However, Aramco have been pretty good with things so far and they pay me way well so i am grateful ;)

I am up for a dialogue and debate about anything. However, i would never put down a nation at the hands of a few..nor would i blashpheme a faith of the country whether i went there on my own free will or not. I would say to those who (not particularly on this forum) but those who want to go to a country as strict as KSA.. to educate themselves about the faith and culture and always have Plan B.. If you're going to sell your home, car and all your belongings and not have Plan B...then Good luck to you!

If you want to take this topic off, feel free... i stand by my topic and it's title.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ori … 26/1ec.jpg

Zazai wrote:

andsoitis

sandy_storm

magnetguy1atyahoodotcom

paradigmshift

I am getting a strong stinking smell of RACISM from u r comments Zazai... the way you spoke about paradigmshift especially "I wouldn't call Pakistan 'haven' right now though..i don't see people flocking to the Pakistani embassy for work Visas lately"

What the hell do you think of yourself... I am an Indian and we and Pakistan have our difference but once we are in other countries we show no animosity or what so ever and I would not accept any such denigrating comments on any other national...

I would strongly suggest admin to please take this topic down before Zazai can make some more derogative comments....

Hello. :)

Thread closed at the request of the author.

Aurélie

Closed