Recycling is Riyadh

Hi all,

I have been looking around for recycling bins in Riyadh, unfortunately I was not successful. Anyone knows where?
Also dose anyone know if there are companies here that takes care of office recycles, for example provide an office with recycling bins and collect them every week or so.

The number of papers we throw every day is giving me nightmares!

Thanks in advance

Hi Fazz,

I work at a hospital and it was one of the things I inquired about immediately (absolutely kills me to be throwing paper, bottles, cans in the trash)!!

I was advised that there is no such thing as recycling in KSA.
I guess with all the desert to create a 'landfill,' they're not concerned about their ecological sandalprint!

its true, but here's the good new's, there are private companies that do exactly what you just mentioned, they provide designated containers for the material (usually only paper) and collect it on a fixed day of the week or month, and it even gets beter, they actually pay you for dealing with them. nifty huh? I recall while I worked for Carrefour we dealt with a simillar company, I can't remember the name, there is one around with the name of "marmar" for paper recycle.. if you ask locals they will be clueless, there are companies that recycle Metal, paper, glass and Fiber in Riyadh as far as I remember, I know this since I review many of their contracts with our previous employers.

I can't promise this but I will try to find some contacts.

Salman

salamn, you rock ! please try to get me some contacts :)

sure thing! :D

Salman

PS:

by the way, for God's sake! its S.a.l.m.a.n. as in Sal-man not Salamn :/

Could be worse.  He could be calling you Salmon (the fish haha).

LOL!

I get that alot too :rolleyes:

Hey Fazz, check here saturday evening, I'm expecting something from an old colleague ;)

Check this out for all those who are interested in Recycling and Waste Management:-

http://www.recexpo.com/exhibition_overview.php?id=130

I  think that most of us are so used to recycling and passionate about it! Most residents on compounds will support recycling if there was a way to do this - so if any of you find a company - please post the info I have never thrown away so many glass containers in my life! and plastic bags On our compound the ladies on the shopping bus all use their own bags and refuse the 20 items into 20 bags we get at shops like Carreforre

Wow, I totally forgot about this, Thanks Nomad.

I have to put this as a reminder, lol. sorry fazz

Salman

Hello Salman....

My name is Ali. I have been living in Riyadh for about 8 months now.
I work with my father, for an electro-mechanical solution provider. I'm also completly disturbed about recycling here. I have been living abroad, and I haven't been ever part of any organization which does not recycle!

I've been looking in the yellow pages, searching the web.. You can't find anything. Can you please provide me urgently with a contact. I feel guilty everytime I print a page.. It's unhealthy fore me as much as it is for the environment, hehe...

Anyways it's nice to know this country still has people who think this way...

Cheers

ops! :blink:

would someone please remind me again if I forget?! :dumbom:

I'll hopefull get it saturday snoopy, thanks for asking.

Salman

Forget recycyling. How many times have you seen people who are stopped at a red light emptying their ash trays out of the window?

And tissues.....? Everywhere.....

Plastic paper bags, Pepsi Cans, Bottles, and whatnot, in the desert and on the beaches?

You gotta see to believe.

Hi everyone I'm new here, well truthfully I just signed up to post a reply ^^;
a while back I decided to get rid of alot of my old note books…etc so I started searching online for places to recycle paper in Riyadh since it was bothering me how much paper I would be throwing out if I just got rid of them and that's when I came across this thread. Even though I didn't find a solution to my problem at the time I was really happy to know that others cared about it too ^__^
Well anyways, I asked my friends at college and some teachers and here is what they gave me I hope this helps you all and that you give the link to others that want to recycle.
Hopefully this will make a small difference if any at all ^^;

http://www.saudirecycling.com/english/

Head office - Riyadh - Olya
Al Tawfiq Buildings / Junction of King Fahad Road with Prince Mohammed bin Abdul Aziz (Tahlia) road.
Tel. (966-1) 4626888 / 4628488 / 2935045
Fax. (966-1) 2625669
Riyadh Branch (1) 01 242 2450 / 243 3378
Riyadh Branch (2) 01 243 6581 / 82 / 83

I haven't tried calling them yet so I don't know how well it'll turn out ^^;
Well good luck everyone I think I've rambled enough for one day bye

Well I'll Be!

I guess Kura got the best answer :top: , these guys should do the job.

Thanks a million Kura, this will be of great help to many of us. these people actually pay to get waste paper, awesome huh?

Salman

did anyone fin a way to recycle papers//notebooks?

Thanks,

yes eric, please read Kura's post. ;)

I think recycling is now catching on.

On our compound we have recycle bins - paper, glass bottles & one for plastic carrier bags. (guess which one gets full the first :rolleyes:)

SaudiUK, is your compound delivering the bins to a recycling company? Can you give me its details.

I am in a compound as well and we are conducting a feasibility study on this issue.

Many thank for your help.

Regards,
Imad

Great thread, folks.  For a country that has virtually no natural resources you would think recycling would be a more important issue.

Buy, use, throw away...the Saudi way.

Kudos to all of you who do recycle.  If there is a tree near you, go get a hug.

At Salwa we recycle paper and cardboard. I'll make enquiries.
I would hug a tree but it's covered in spines.

Nice 1st post Kura. Better than some we could mention. :lol::lol::lol::lol: Welcome, welcome, welcome. There that will do.

Are your eyes really different colours?

You could still hug your Mahogany desk?

jillndave wrote:

Are your eyes really different colours?

if they r, just ring me!

I found this, they buy the paper off you for recycled paper but only from schools and offices.
If you are a home they recommended to put it in one of the bins near the mosques because the cheraties ususally collect them and sell to the company below.

Saudi Recycling Co. For Paper & Waste
Al Sulay Dis., Riyadh
P.O.Box: 11493, Postal Code: 13038
Tel:  01-2422450
Fax:  01-2416500

Wow, wow, wow!!!

This kind of thread are the kind of things that make you believe more in the social advantages of blogs.
Thanks to Expats-blogs:)

Hey Everyone :)
I like to hear that lotsa people are interested in Recycling, especially cuz last year was all about recycling at our school.

My friends and I also started worrying about the environment and nature, and couldn't stand that our Earth is being destroyed and we're not doing anything about it :S

Hence, we started the Green Team; to raise awareness to the importance of nature. And we started Recycling as our first message.

During the our school year, we managed to find a Paper Recycling company (Goes by the name M.S. Recycling Company), and they took our paper that we collected from all over the school!

Since it was our first year, I was surprised to have made 1550 kg of paper! And all went into recycling :)
Check it out: mns-r.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=194&Itemid=116

Next year we plan on adding plastics and tins to the list; though we're having trouble finding the companies.

Does anyone know a company that can supply us with bins; or even make the bins; We are desperate O_O <_< Thanks

Hi everyone

Its a nice topic. Though, around the globe, most of the countries are focusing on recycling not just they want cleanliness but also for resources conservation and environmental protection. wastes are of many types such as plastics, paper, food waste, hospital waste, etc and each waste catagory has its own way of recycling and disposal. I have recently arrived here and surprised to see that there is nothing like recycling. In other countries, the waste is classified at the house/domestic level i.e. you have to put, paper, plastic, glass, aluminium in different bins and then the authorities use them accordingly. here in kingdome, everything is just mixed and dumped. Its like wastage of the resources. dumping desert with valuable resources is just a wastage of these soruces, i think........

Hi,

I am new here. I called the number that Kura provided but they speak Arabic. Has anybody found anything new about recycling?

Plus does any one know where to to get the composting red worms in Riyadh?

my company is looking for a recycling solution, please do let us posted.thx

In philippines, if you go to public markets, restaurants, supermarkets or malls, you'll see no more plastics just paperbags.
:) i was amazed. We are Pro-life.
If someone caught you with plastic bags, you'll gonna pay fine so for those hardheaded human being, be ready for the FFFIIINNNEEEE!!! :)

seeker of truth wrote:

:( that is only imposed to middle class places "kabayan".. our country is just like Saudi, a lot of people keep throwing their trash without segregating.. i hope they would learn so that there will be no floods in our beloved country..

kudos to those people who make this world a better place to live in. ;)

R.i.N wrote:
seeker of truth wrote:

:( that is only imposed to middle class places "kabayan".. our country is just like Saudi, a lot of people keep throwing their trash without segregating.. i hope they would learn so that there will be no floods in our beloved country..

kudos to those people who make this world a better place to live in. ;)

at least we started already in our place. Maybe you guys could make that happen in ur place. :)

I know this reply is tooo late but did you find anyone??
Im in Jeddah & we have recycling bins & places to send items for recycling but I need to know a place in Riyadh as well to soread the word. Please let me know any plce.

There are places in Jeddah but zi have no idea where can people send items in Riyadh and I really need to know a place :(

I know of three huge companies in Riyahd that promote recyclying and educate their staff on this. I was most impressed, until I saw out the back of these companies the recycled bins all dumped into one container. ..ummm.

If there are any Saudis out there reading this post and are looking at ways of making millions then they should go into the recycling business. There are many gaps in the market in Saudi and if someone was clever enough to fill this gap, they could make a lot of money. The South Koreans are leaders in this field and those who went into this business years ago did 3 things..
1. They assisted/save the environment/habitats
2. Able to employ people who could support their families
3. They all become millionaires
4. Able to reeducate citizens

If there are a team of Saudi people out there who want to start up this business (there is already one is Riyadh,  yet do they do a proper job?), then do your research really well. Look to the South Koreans as your teachers..research, research, research. Go to South Korea for at least one or two months and look for yourself. Come home and then start the business.

Check this company out:-
http://www.averda.com/countries/ksa.html

Recycling companies are available here but a few people know about them.
Last year, baladia placed recycling bins at corniche but the whole idea failed...lack of awareness i would say...

Few know about it, because these recycling companies have not used their untapped talent and partnered with the right marketing/ad company.

If I was a Pakistani I would rush back to that country (after going to South Korea to research to see how it is done correctly) and start up businesses in recycling. Whoever does this, “will win", only if done correctly.

I ran a medical clinic in North Karachi several years ago and saw so many opportunities for someone or a group of people to come in and start this kind of business. If you know of any group of people who want to go into this, I have all the contacts (top guns) in Karachi,if you put a business proposition forward. I am not promising anything, however I can introduce the busniess contacts.

Allah ka fazal

Suzan,

I agree with you. I am thinking of looking into this business myself but I have my hands so full with homeschooling,looking after parents, running my blog and housework that I need to free myself a little.

BTW, I tried to do composting with red worms and it didn't work. Does anyone know where to get red worms in or around Riyadh since they may die if shipped from the US.

Thanks,

AJ