The real face of the Brazilian people

A lot of gringos are of the impression that all Brazilians are dishonest, bandits, etc., but time-and-time-again we see reports that show the true face of the average Brazilian. While I am not surprised by the report (I've seen many just like it in my 10 years here) I think that it deserves public mention.

Over the weekend a homeless couple who live under a bridge in Tatuapé found sacks containing around R$20 thousand in the street. Even though they are penniless did they thank God for their good luck and keep the money? No, they didn't... the only thing they could think of was to call the police and turn it over to the authorities. God bless these two wonderful people!

This is what Brazilians are REALLY like. There are probably a lot of gringos who wouldn't have reacted in the same fashion.

http://g1.globo.com/sao-paulo/noticia/2 … em-sp.html

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

It was also good to see that Rejaniel dos Santos, the young man who found and returned the money, was rewarded with a job offer by the owner of the restaurant the money was stolen from. Good luck Daniel, you deserve the very best! I am sure that the restaurant will never find a more honest employee than you. You made all Brazil very proud.

Yes, I saw this on Globo, nice walt disney story.
But how many caras will be kept money for them
One thing is sure, a good audience for Globo

Since I have seen many such news reports from all over Brazil in the 10 years I have been living here I am not so sinical as to think of it as a Walt Disney story.

I'd love to see just how many foreigners here in Brazil would be that honest. Three cheers for Rejaniel, and all the other Brazilians just like him.

Cheers,

Look it's definitely wrong to believe on TV stories. They are distorted much more than it's healthy. Brazilian mass media are propriety of government and manipulation there is obvious.

I recomend turn off tv and look around yourself.
But I must admit that brazilian are generous warm hearted people. I've never been accepted so wall like here. And i've travelled many countries.

Hi GringoinRio,

I don't know where you get the idea that the media is property of the government in Brazil, but you are absolutely wrong. I have been living in Brazil for over ten years and they have all been privately owned since long before I came here.

The top 4 television/radio networks in the country are Globo which is owned by Roberto Marinho, Record owned by Edir Macedo (Igreja Universal), SBT which is owned by Silvio Santos and Band (Bandeirantes) which is owned by a conglomorate. None of them have anything to do with the government.

Please if you are going to post information on the forum, make sure that it is accurate.

Cheers,

Most of Brasilieros are honest and calorosos
Abracos, churascos etc...
Sao Paulo and Bresil have a dark side also, may be that story is true but I see also many things in true life here as I can have some doubt.

Every city has its dark side, not just here. I wouldn't go to Bogata or Mexico City and then judge all Columbians or Mexicans as "banditos" because those cities are dominated by drug cartels. I don't judge a book by its cover, I prefer to open it and make my decisions based on the content.

Cheers,

wjwoodward wrote:

Hi GringoinRio,

I don't know where you get the idea that the media is property of the government in Brazil, but you are absolutely wrong. I have been living in Brazil for over ten years and they have all been privately owned since long before I came here.

The top 4 television/radio networks in the country are Globo which is owned by Roberto Marinho, Record owned by Edir Macedo (Igreja Universal), SBT which is owned by Silvio Santos and Band (Bandeirantes) which is owned by a conglomorate. None of them have anything to do with the government.

Please if you are going to post information on the forum, make sure that it is accurate.

Cheers,

William, sorry for misinformation. It's just I always have this kind of feeling when I'm watching TV here. I should check it first before posting. Anyway I didn't mean to offend you.

I believe that brazilian are kindly and generous people but something doesn't fit on that story of homeless. Or I just don't believe that people even it's brasileiro are too good.  But if it's true they have my admiration.

Ondra

Thanks William from bringing some positive informations to public attention.

I'm really tired to read only about the "dark side" of the brazilian povo on this forum (especially french one though), I find it unfair to many Brazilians and I had some really great experiences too with Brazilian people.

Cheers,

Émilie

Bonjour Emilie,
désolé si je t'ai choqué, j'adore les brésiliens sinon je ne serai pas venu ici.
Je suis venu au Brésil en 2004 pour 7 mois, en  2006 pour 8 mois et je suis à Sao Paulo depuis 5 mois.
Les rapports d'amitiés et familiaux sont forts et ils n'ont pas le meme regard qu'en France.
mais il y a l'autre coté du décors, avec des mésaventures que je ne souhaite pas à mon pire ennemi.. bon, je pense que tu t'en apercevras avec le temps.
Pour la TV cela fait longtemps que je ne crois plus ce que raconte les masses médias. (pour avoir participé à certains reportages et vu le résultat au montage, je sais de quoi je parles)
Je préfère encore les novelas :)

@expatbresil - In english please on this Anglophone forum! ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Emilie,

I have been living here in Brazil for more than ten years now, in various cities all over the country.

Every day my love and deep respect for the Brazilian people grows because they are all basically this way. I have seen so many news reports exactly like this one over the years and it is positive proof that even people who live in extreme poverty can have more character and higher morals than rich ones.

Bad people exist in every society, unfortunately they generally are the ones we all hear about. The media loves sensationalize the bad things in life. Fortunately these individuals are in the minority, especially here.

I will tell you exactly what I think of Brazilians in a simple story (true)....  I have travelled to many big cities in other countries where if you drop in the street with a heart attack YOU WILL CERTAINLY DIE, the people just step right over you. I was born and raised in Canada, there somebody will arrive right away who will try to help you in any way they can. HERE IN BRAZIL SOMEBODY WILL CARRY YOU TO THE HOSPITAL ON THEIR BACK IF NECESSARY. That is what happened to me and I've seen it happen to others too, I owe my life to two young men who I had never seen before nor since. They are exactly what Brazilians are all about. You won't find better people anywhere in the world as far as I am concerned.

Cheers,

:)