South Africa

Hi all I am from South Africa and mooving to Ireland in August any other SA people here I can chat with just to try and understand what to expect when I get there. Things like opening a Bank account, buying a car normal stuff.
Thanks My e-mail is [email protected]

Hello Kobus van Dyk.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Here is the list of South African expatriates in Ireland.

Why don't you ask your questions on the forum? Other members could perhaps help you. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Kobus
There is a South African shop in Ireland called Jabula that has a forum etc set up for South Africans here. Very helpful. Facebook them and get added on. Most of your questions will get answered just by reading what's on there.
My husband's Irish but we don't live here most of the year so I won't have answers but there are lots of us here and I'm sure you'll get settled in no time.
And don't forget to register at the embassy when you get here.
Linda

Hi kobus, great place to live if you like walking, runnng, hiking infact all outdoor activities in the rain. You will get use to it after a few years but hey its not so bad. If you like pub life you will get on well with people but don't expect to be invited for a drink or a meal. That is a south african mindset u best have to leave in south africa. It took me 5 years to find my feet and 10 years to finally get citizenship but don't dispair. We are just happy to enjoy some sense of freedom from being locked up behind huge fences with dogs to announce intruders. Its a sacrifice you are going to have to make. Its not necessarily better than south africa but you can make it as good as you wish. All the best mate.

Hi,

As far as opening a bank account is concerned its a bit of a battle. They need your passport, utility bills for proof of residence and normally some payslips.

As if they don't have more serious things to worry about :)

As for car prices - try donedeal.ie - private but much cheaper
Secondhand car prices has dropped to rock bottom, so you will have no problem finding something that you like.
carzone.ie - to give you some idea.

Insurance companies will rip you off - so shop around and make sure you have you no claims bonus cert. from your insurance in SA. Don't be surprised with the insane cost of insurance , which you MUST have here.

Let me know if you need more info.

(moderated: no free ads plz register your company in the Ireland business directory)

Hi melenium college, south africans do not need to learn english, it is a well spoken language and all south african can read write and speak english perfectly if they have been to school ofcourse. Thanks;) not sure what you are asking from us.