High cost of living in Jazan

Hello fellow filipinos.  In case you are going to work in Jazan (Jizan) be prepared for a surprise. Besides from being backwards and ugly as compared to other cities of Saudi Arabia, the cost of room rent is also very high. One room without a kitchen and separate toilet will cost you 1000 riyals per month. I you want room with kitchen and bathroom you should be prepared to pay 1500 riyals or more. Why is this so? Because Jizan was left behind during the previous boom years in Saudi Arabia and the buildings here are new. This means that the cost of construction of this buildings is higher as compared to the construciton cost of older buildings in Riyadh, Jeddah, Taif, etc.
There is also no intercity bus so everytime you move you have to use taxi which are also charging much higher rates. So consider these things when you are negotiating with your employer for housing and transport allowance.

@ Wendy!
Appreciate your insight..But you should direct your message to all Expat.com Community and not just your country mates...Regards!

I work here in Jizan, too.  It's expensive, and it's a ghetto. Long neglected by the rest of Saudi Arabia, it's considered an extension of Yemen, rather than a true KSA town.  Really 3rd world compared to other cities in KSA.  However, all that being said, co-workers who have worked in Jeddah and Riyadh tell me that those cities are twice as expensive as Jizan.  I don't know as I have nothing to compare it to, having only worked here.

hi, everyone is absolutely right,
jazan is the worst place to live, very bad behavior people, working like a slave only for the money, worst envoirnment, sand storm every year for 3 to 4 months daily, or on laternate days
, so think 100 times before coming to jazan, also not good for health to be here. after some years you will develop bronchial asthma dur to that dust here,

take care everyone and chao

For intents and purposes, it is not easy to write this observation about my work place but I feel it's got to be done because we have no platform or support of any kind for our grievances. All or any prospective ESL English teachers looking to come to work with Algonquin Jazan (yes, the Canadian Algonquin) should be warned of the situation here. My advise is a big DON'T. The college is poorly ran and mismanaged. The prevailing attitude and management style is don't ask just do as you are told. If you don't, you will be sacked. Several teachers who innocently wished to understand and sought clarification of a number of policy matters were instantly dismissed. No escalation procedure or support from Canadian management was forthcoming.The law of the jungle rules and it appears that the Canadian management are either unaware of what's going on or they have decided to turn a blind eye to the situation. Teachers work 6 hours contact time despite what we were told at the interview stage, once you get here you have no choice but teach for 6 hours a day with no over-time pay. That kind of grueling schedule leaves you with no time for preparation during your contractual hours. The time is mostly taken by on the spot meetings. As a result, during the day you are forced to check your emails every half hour in case you missed a meeting in which case you get a written warning.

you should also post that on www.eslcafe.com as that's a dedicated platform for esl instructors and there are already some threads on algonquin jazan there.