Another 457 visa question

Hi all

I'm completely new to this website and forum. I have already done quite a bit of research into the 457 visa, but am still unsure as to whether my main question has actually been answered through what I have already read.

A bit of background....i'm a 20-something year old and have dreamed of living and working in Australia since being a wee thing in secondary school. I've always put it off for one reason or another but circumstances dictate that now is as good a time as any to head out there and do it.

I'm aware of everything to do with the WHV and intend to initially obtain that to get myself into the country and, consequentially, into employment. I may hate Australia when I get there. I may get incurably homesick. I may run out of funds quicker than I anticipated. All of the above may happen, and send me packing back home. However i'm coming at it with a bit more of a "glass half full" approach, and envisage myself loving it enough to want to settle and try to make some kind of life there (however short or long term that might be).

Therefore I have been doing some preliminary research into possibilities beyond the WHV, and everything seems to point toward the 457 sponsorship visa. I understand that you have to have a skill on the prescribed list in order to be granted a visa and, of course, an employer who would be willing to put themselves forward as a sponsor. I understand that if you leave your sponsor, you have to also leave the country within a certain timeframe.

However what I'm unsure of is...what is the etiquette when trying to obtain 457 status? I've read more than enough advice which states that you should not tell immigration officials at the airport that you are intending to seek permanent work in Oz. However once you've been stamped in, how do you go about obtaining that golden sponsorship? Is it considered bad form to make your intentions clear when applying for jobs on your WHV (i.e. "Please sir, i'm on a WHV but I would really really like you to sponsor me"), is it better to work temporarily somewhere for 2-3 months and THEN voice your hopes to your employer? Or is it just better to keep your mouth shut and hope they approach you with the suggestion instead, moving on if not?

I'm not even sure if it would be considered pretty bad to be asking this question in this forum....but I believe in honesty and getting intentions out there in the open :-)

Hope somebody can offer something/anything useful.

Hi Scattydove,

If you are coming to Australia on a WHV, you don't really have to say anything to immigration about your desire to seek permanent employment Australia. I don't think they will even ask you because your visa is only valid for the time given.

I don't know if there is actually an etiquette about when to ask about sponsorship. I've read people actually ask at the interview about the possibility of being sponsored later on. On WHV, I believe you can only work up to 6 months with one employer. The next 6 months with a new employer.

Hello, I wanted to add that the employer sponsorship visa has been in the news often here lately.  In order for an employer to sponsor you, the employer has to prove that there is no Australian available to fill the position. To prove this, it requires the employer to do the appropriate paperwork and do the appropriate research to be able to provide evidence that no one is available to fill the job.  As such, an employer is either actively sponsoring employees, and has committed resources to this OR an employer does not and is not committing time or resources to sponsoring staff.

If you ONLY  want to work for someone while on your WHV that will sponsor you later, you need to make that clear to your potential employer, because if they have no resources or experience dedicated to sponsoring employees, it is not likely they will be sponsoring anyone.

Have you considered attending university in Australia? You can complete a degree and possible be eligible for permanent residency when you are done. Also, apparently nursing is one of the most common professions (maybe the most common?) that is sponsored for migration.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Joe