Advice Please - moving to Oz

Hi I'm new to this so hope I don't make a mess of asking the right questions.....we are a family of 5 hoping to migrate to Perth early next year.  We have Oz citizenship so that's no problem, we're just concerned about finding work. We lived in Sydney about 16 years ago but my brother is in Perth and we would like to try it there first. Hubby is a carpenter/builder and I'm a secretary.  I've seen lots of jobs advertised for myself but don't think I could earn enough to support family so hubby would be the first one to try and get work - the big question is .....is there much work out there for carpenter/builder trade at the moment?  I've seen plenty advertised by different agencies but very hard to make a decision from this far away when you're taking kids with you and so much else to think about.  We really want to give it a go again as we have been talking about it for so long and if we don't make a move now we never will!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Hi

Well since he has a trade, like carpentry there is definitely work out here for home. Perth is a growing city :) I live on the Gold Coast in QLD and there is an abundance of work here too..

Hi

Try looking on www.seek.com.au for jobs

The happy Migrant

Ozarrivals, are you a carpenter? How long have you been living in Oz?

Hi MacFamily,

Perth is picking up its building industry again. there are alot of construction going on, commerical and residential. I'm sure your hubby's skillset will definately come in handy. He will fit right in :)
There are alot of Irish in Perth, just in my office there are 3!! and lots more to discover.

I guess the saying is, you never know until you try.:)

Hope this helps
Joanne
http://whatsupjo.blogspot.com

Thanks a million Joanne for that glimmer of hope! How long have you been living there? You say you're working in an office - what do you do? Secretarial or professional? Did you find it difficult to get office work? Sorry for asking so many questions!!! I practically have the bag packed but hubby is a bit more cautious! Just coming into winter now and the colds and flus have started.....Perth is looking very good :cool:

Hi macfamily

I hope that you already here. Apologies in the delay for a reply, but my daughter got ill just over three weeks ago and it was hard trying to find out what the cause was. Only yesterday we found out that it was actually an ear infection...

Well I am analyst programmer by 'trade', and now trying to help others who wish to migrate to Australia. I am not a migration agent, only a mother, wife and someone who also had to encourage her husband to come to Australia! So understand your situation.

We have family in Perth who have developed a few properties and say that finding good quality skilled workers are hard, that's how I know that Perth is growing :)

Good Luck, Perth was our first city of choice, but moved to the almost all year sunny Gold Coast..

PS. I hope this link can help you :
http://www.ozarrivals.com.au/salary-and-finding-a-job/

Hi Ozzarrivals,

Thank you so much for that reply - I'm showing hubby all this positive feedback and I think we're getting there by degrees! My brother went back to live in Perth on Sunday so we were holding our final decision until we heard from him but your post is definitely encouraging.  If we are going to make the move, hope to go by March 2010 as it will probably take us that long to get everything organised anyway.  Hope you're daughter is making a speedy recovery!:cool: