In Copenhagen in the summer with children

Hello everyone,

I am working on a project on bilingualism and Denmark and would be very interested in "local" advice from Copenhagen. What would you suggest for a family in the following situation:

- intercultural family (Danish-Finnish) with 3 children: 4, 8 and 12 years old. Children and dad speak Danish fluently.

- on summer holiday in Copenhagen for 3 weeks in July, would like to find activities where the children get to practise their Danish with other children. So not necessarily touristy things, but activities that Danish children also participate in.

- Do you know of any good camp sites near Copenhagen that families attend (again hoping to have the children interact with other children of their age).

- Do you know of any good websites in Danish for children on any materials that might be useful for children speaking Danish, but living abroad and not having everyday access to the language.

Any advice you might be able to give would be great! Thank you!

Annika

Hi Annika
I am in the same situation so I am looking forward to some answers for your blog. I have two half/danish speaking girls, 7and 9 and we were desperate last year to find out that there were no activities they could partake. I called around last year and asked if I could pay full for the activities that the Danish school children were enjoying but they didn't agree. .we are in Nordsjaelland in July and August. Two long months for us without a network of friends.

Please let me know if you hear anything about some foreign friendly summer activity.

Zahra

Hi Zahra,

I got some ideas from the tripadvisor site, such as the following:

We would suggest going to Cinemateket, where the kids can interact with Danish kids by for an example making their own movie: dfi.dk/Service/…FILM-X.aspx

They also show children's movies in "Børnebiffen". You can download the movie programme here: dfi.dk/Filmhuset/…Boernebiffen.aspx

Experimentarium, which is a science center for kids, is also a possibility of interacting with Danish kids (mainly because there's a lot of them): experimentarium.dk/index.php?id=1001

Or simply go to a playground in Copenhagen. There's a very cool one in the big park called Fælledparken with the towers and buildings of Copenhagen in miniature size. ghb-landskab.dk/projekter/faelledparken-inte…

DGI-byen in Copenhagen has some camps for children in July. For instance these camps: dgi.dk/arrangementer/Børneidrætsskole_pige_og_drenge_10-14_år_i_DGI-byen_[e149593].aspx

dgi.dk/arrangementer/Børneidrætsskole_Skovshoved_Skole,_Gentofte_[e148984].aspx

Personally, I like the idea of day camps the best and I might also suggest that if your kids have hobbies like soccer etc. to contact a local team etc. and ask if they could participate in practices while there.

I'd love to hear from your experience abroad, if you don't mind here's my email: [email protected]

I also have a Facebook page that aims to bring resources for multilingual families, please come say hi if you're on FB:

facebook.com/#!/pages/Be-Bilingual/299878373399290

all the best,

Annika

Lovely Annika,

Will check it out and will write to your mail as soon as I get some results. We are not in DK until end of June but I will do the research now.

Thank you for your help,

Zahra

Institut Sankt Joseph Copenhagen has a bilingual summer school program from July to August.

som_EN_folder_korrektur_0903131.pdf