Renting cars in panama

I have now been in panama for three winters and each year the car rental gets worse. The fees, then the insurance and the quality are always a mystery.
This year, I rented online before coming down and ended up with a 6 year old 90,000 km car with bald tires and no shocks. I returned it after 1 day, ended up in an argument with the clerk who took my papers, refused to give them back and then refused my refund. 1 day for 1167.00 three months later even my lawyer is getting nowhere.
If Panama wants tourists, then get the car rental companies under controll, it costs more for a rental car than for a house for a month.

Obviously you were not renting from a major car rental facility. I have rented several times and never rented anything older then 1 year. Plus, when they gave you the car you had the option not to take it when you saw the shape it was in...then not one day later. You're blaming Panama...give us a break!

I rent cars each month at the airport and Avis or Hertz is no better. The on line quote NEVER is what you were quoted when the bill is closed out. Customer service is nil. I have called corp. headquarters with nothing ever being done !

I have been to Panama City three times.  Twice I rented at the airport and each time was ripped off at the conclussion with added fees.   More than $100 USD per day for a crumy small car.
When I include the car rental in the trip costs Panama is no longer such a great place for the money.  It is a shame because I love the place and the people but I will not go back.   I now go to Colombia where I get a private driver and a car for less money and a lot more things to do.