Open arms from locals when opening a buisness ??

hello , we are canadians looking to relocate to belize,we previously opened a buisness in playa del carmen mexico and found it was the worst place to do buisness. goverment workers on the take, permits coming out of you ***!!workers either dont get it or non motivated just a bad experience..to say the least, we recently spent some time in belize and found the locals very accomodating, is this just for tourist or do they really like to have xpats open buisnesses. if anyone has first hand knowlege i,d love to hear it..brianlisa

Hi brianlisa, browsing through the forum may enlighten you.;)

Harmonie.

I started Red Roof Property Management in San Ignacio, Belize, and have found it to be a very pleasurable experience. I got a Trade License from the Town Board. I\'ve never been asked for a bribe, and there are no extra permits above that.

The community has welcomed our business, since it was a very needed service. The people we employ, while they can be tardy or have personal issues from time to time, are generally very happy to be employed, do a good job, and are grateful for the work.  Frankly, I\'ve had a better experience with employees here in Belize than I ever had with my 7 employees back in the States, where I ran a pool and spa maintenance and repair business.

Just make sure you know the rules for starting a business here first, if you decide to do so. Hope that helps. Sharon Hiebing