Just arrived - wanna make friends and explore the city together

Hi: I am a 29 yr old Chinese American, grew up in china and the states, lived in Paris for 3 years and hk for 6 months. First time in south east Asia.  Just arrived Jakarta on Monday.  Would like to make friends outside of work (either locals or expats) and explore the city a bit.. I speak mandarin and English and would like to learn bahasa, currently I am at senayan district. Message me if anyone wants to meet up.

Josh

Welcome to Jak. Drop in line and lets connect sometime this week . I work around South Jakarta and Kunnigan

Cheers

hi Mac...i suggest you go to local bookstore "Gramedia" and buy an electronic Alpha Link translator. I learned most of my Bahasa from this. the cost varies from rp400,000 to rp2,000,000 depends on what model you chose.

Hello Josh,

How's life after a week Jakarta? I've been living here for a few years allready.
If you need any help, don't hesitate to contact me.

Bart.

Thanks everyone.  So far, work is ok and social life outside of work is pretty empty. Let me know if there are any expat meetups happening soon.

Please don't hesitate to inbox me if you need help about Jakarta
Will share

I am working around in South Jakarta

Any plans for this weekend.

Someonelike@ Any gathering coming soon?

Hi Josh and all,   

Just a few days ago I got sent to Indonesia for my work.  I am currently in Bogor but I will move to Jakarta on 18th onwards and would love to hang out with people because I practically know no-one here.. (besides those whom I work with).

Just a brief background of myself. I am Chinese from Hong Kong who studied in the U.S for college and was in Costa Rica for 5 months for an exchange program as well as volunteer work. Love traveling and learning about different cultures.  I am also learning Bahasa from book and people ; ).

So please do let me know if any meet up is going on.  I would love to join, to meet you, listen exchange experiences living here and abroad and just hang out.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

p.s. a side question.. does anyone has any idea how much time is needed (with traffic) to travel from Kuningan Area to East Jakarta?

Tonight me and Josh wanna go to Bluegrass in epicentrum, Kuningan
Lets meet up there
Around 7pm maybe?
Inbox me

bluishmood wrote:

p.s. a side question.. does anyone has any idea how much time is needed (with traffic) to travel from Kuningan Area to East Jakarta?

Depend on where in East Jakarta but leave a long time and carry headache tablets and anti depressants if you're doing it every day.

Easy rule in Jakarta.

Don't drive anywhere you don't have to and live near to your work.

I should allow at least an hour. If you are planning to be there for 8am then leave at 6am. If you want to be home by 8pm then before 6pm as the traffic is terrible some days and awful the rest.

thank you so much for your information. Since I can't find a place at East Jakarta, I am going to stay at the area of Kuningan for a week for now. (I will wake up early to compensate that)
Anyone stay nearby?

Welcome to the city. Join for morning breakfast in setibudi if you have time

cheers