Needing a rental Feb. 25 - March 19 and other

Hola Friendly Bloggers,

Am planning a month's trip to Ecuador and need some help.

1. Needing a rental in Cuenca for a young, retired couple and a female friend within walking distance of Center. Furnished, kitchen with appliances for cooking. Wifi preferred. Quiet, SAfe, clean. No smoking.

2. Has anyone used Operzauay for a shuttle from Guayaquil - Cuenca and advise costs of the shuttle?

3. We've been expats in Taiwan and Europe and always used ATM's as our source for getting cash as we need. What do you recommend in Ecuador?

4. Can anyone recommend a reliable guide for Podocarpus? We are birders.

Thank you!

A

Hi 2amigos,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

You may post an advert in the Cuenca classifieds > accommodation section as well.

I wish you good luck in your search.
Christine

Thanks, Christine. 

Can you recommend a shuttle service from Guayaquil -  Cuenca? I've written several companies and they are quoting prices over 100US!!

Also, we will fly out of Cuenca - QUito with full international checked bags. Will this be a problem on domestic flights?

Thank you!  a

Hi,

$100 for a trip Guayaquil-Cuenca is a big fraud unless is a personal special trip.
The regular suttles like Operazuaytour cost $12 one way and there's departures every hour.

You should not have a problem with your bags, but is better to check directly with the air company.

I will try to find an apartment for you based on your requests.

Yes, you can use ATM's here, they work with Cirrus, Banred and similar ones, if you use a credit card is better.
But I know that some debit cards from small american banks don't work in all the local ATMs.  There's a fee about $2 for every withdrawal.

About Podocarpus, I didn't find any tour operator in Cuenca that has trips to this Park.
I found this one in Vicabamba but I don't know how good they are.  www.hosteltrail.com/latascatours

Good luck, hope this info will help you and if you need more info let me know.

Vinny

Hi 2Amigos,

We used Operazuay - 'Caro Publico.'  It is a shared van ride - $12 pp from Guayaquil to Cuenca.  Reservation was made for us by the B&B we stayed in Guayquil.  When I contacted them directly, I got the same response - $100.  So if you have someone in Guayaquil (GYE) who can arrange it for you - great. 

I recommend it over flying. 

Are you staying in GYE?  We stayed at a B&B that is  very expat - friendly - Macaw - hostalmacaw.com.  That is who took care of our reservation.

Enjoy, Wendy