QRP App timing question

I expect to move to belize in April but my retirement pay won't start till June. Can I apply for the QRP program before a) I actually move to Belize (my house will be built and ready to move in before April, b)  before I start receiving my pension? and c) could I deposit $$ in bank instead of proving receipt of pension. 
I want to do this to qualify for duty exemption for car and furniture.

Caridust. Yes you can submit your application prior to moving to Belize. As long as you can prove you will be in receipt of a monthly pension, they\'ll accept that. And yes, if you have substantial funds in a bank account to prove you can live self-sufficiently in Belize, a monthly pension is not necessary - they will accept that instead.

Keep in mind that once you are approved, you have one year from that date to bring all of your possessions over duty free, so don\'t apply so early that you risk missing the deadline due to building delays with your home, etc. Last I heard it\'s only taking about three weeks to approve applications. Hope that helps.

Sharon Hiebing

I too have the QRP program. We would like to open a store can we do that under the program?

Yes, Lperdue, you can buy or start a business in the QRP. However, they probably won't let you work in it day-to-day. You'll need to hire employees for that.

That's just what we planned to do! Thanks!

FYI thanks for all your info on this blog it really helps!

You're so welcome!

Sharon,
We are going to come down and rent for a while, so if all works out then we'll have to leave the country to apply for QRP? Would we have to come back to Canada or can we do it from Mexico or Panama?

Guy, you can apply for the QRP from anywhere, and submit it all online or via Fed Ex. However, getting all the documentation and requirements together that you need is much easier from your home town.

Thank you for the info and the rental website very much appreciated!
Cheers,
Guy & Roz

Your welcome, Guy & Roz!

Myhouse at orchid bay is going up. U can see pics at their facebook paGe
Should be completed by aug and ill come down then. Because i wont be receiving
My pension til next summer i plan to open abank acct in corozal with 25000$:
Then when i get home in jan i will submit my qrp app so i can move car and goods hopefully
In march.  Does this plan sound like it will work?  Do i need a lawyer/customs
Broker etc to ease it all thru?   Im in afghanistan now so remote plaNning

Caridust - this is totally unnecessary.  You do not need the $2000 usd monthly commitment in a Belize Bank account for QRP approval.

You simply need to show proof of the monthly income stream in any bank account. I wouldn't convert so much of your funds to Belize currency ahead of you moving there - it's exceedingly difficult to convert back should you need access to your money.

You can use a lawyer to help set up the QRP if you like, but many do it on their own. A custom broker could be helpful to you for getting your belongings over duty free, but a lot of shippers use their own, so check with them first.

Thxs  that frees up alot of money. Appreciate the advice.
Carrie