Moving to Poland

Hi,

I am Indian, moving to Katowice Poland for 12 months. Please let me know how is the place, i have read some scary things about this place. Secondly, Can anyone tell me whats the average monthly expenditure for a single person in Katowice for a mid level life style.

Thanks in advance,
Sudipt

Hi Sudipt,
Where did you read a scary things about Poland? Poland is safe and is one of the most beautiful countries, Katowice is one of the most modern cities, moreover there is just 2 hours to the mountains, 2 hours to Krakow - old, historical city with wonderful architecture. You should make $1200-1500 which is equal to PLN 3600-4500 to have quite good life. What are you going to do there?
regards

Sudipt, I won't lie to you, Polish people are not used to anything "unusual".  Even a white-skinned person like myself gets stares and odd looks when I speak on buses or shops.  It's not a personal thing, it's largely out of surprise and curiosity.

I've been to Katowice many times.  It is modernising, yes.  There are some nice places.  Some bloody ugly places as well.  Then again, a lot of places are like that.

Any town in Poland is not as modern as, say, Berlin, Barcelona, Istanbul or Liverpool.  However, one can see a place which is in a time of change, largely a positive change.  There are however some things in Poland which are really cool, things that have been here since the communist state days as well as before, things like Bar Mleczny, where one can get cheap healthy (including vegetarian) food.

@IanMaloy
I've been to Berlin, Liverpool and I've just come back from Istanbul - it is extremely beautiful city I wouldn't say modern. Comparing polish cities to Liverpool or Berlin I don't see differences at all. Bloody ugly places you can find everywhere - in your british city I bet you'll find a lot places like that. May be your dumbness is the reason that you have to live in a bloody ugly place in Poland instead of living in a bloody ugly place in Wales. Grazyna

I will agree with Grazyna. For me cities in poland are like those in europe. I used to live in Barcelona and I love it but you can find ugly places there as well. For example Cracow for me is one of the most beautiful places in PL you can even match it with Prague.