Buying property in Lithuania

Hi,

can a foreigner buy property in Lithuania?

If so, is it complicated? What is the process of purchasing a property in Lithuania?

Any tips for buying property, such as a check-list of items to verify ?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Christine

It is possible for a foreigner to buy property of any sort except agricultural land.  This restriction is scheduled to change in 2013, but the deadline has been extended once and could be again, I guess.
Owning property in Lithuania will usually give one status to live permanently in Lithuania. 
The process of purchasing land is relatively painless, and very carefully documented and recorded.  It is necessary to have someone who can interpret the language.  Watch out for people continually trying to change the terms of the agreement. Don't pay money in advance or as a deposit.  Your funds will not be protected as they are in more civilized places, in case the deal falls apart. Read preceding two sentences again.  I have bought a few pieces of property here, and can't really fault their system, but as anywhere dont trust what the buyer or realtor tells you. They will say anything to make a sale even if it includes bold faced lies. Even with these caveats- I would recommend buying here. There are many good opportunities and good prices to be found.  There is no market-norm.  Do your research- you can find bargains.

Thanks for your contribution Danielius!;)

Harmonie.