Considering new start in South Africa

Hi Everyone

I have recently finished studying  and with the economy over here in the UK am looking into living abroad for a time. Have always wanted to emigrate and see the world and am now interested in South Africa.

Can anyone tell me what is like moving out there, how tough to get a job and what the people are like?

I have heard a lot about crime and how dangerous it is- any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Hello nadezhda and welcome to Expat.com!

I invite you to take a look at the different discussions of the forum. It may help.;)

Harmonie.:)

Hi.

I am from Denmark, am now staying in Cape Town with my S.A. partner. I cannot speak for the whole of S.A. but Cape Town is reasonably safe, (Like any big city) you must just use your head.
I have lived here for years and have never had anything stolen, been attacked, had my house broken in to, or anything else. I have not even had my pocket picket. How many people living in London, New York, Sidney, Berlin etc can say that??

Finding a job can be very difficult, depending on your education, it can also be very difficult to get a work permit, I would advise you to check with the consulate in your country to find out if you can get a visa.  There are about 25% unemployment in S.A.
Salaries in S.A. can be very small, okay living expenses are less, but that does not always make up for the difference.
To look for job positions try gumtree.co.za

In Cape Town people are really friendly, you can find people from all over the world partying together here. Life is easygoing here, Cape Town is also called Slaap Staat, sleeping city. So if you are very high stringed and corporate, maybe CT is not for you. If you love nature, mountains, ocean, extreme sports, going to the beach, street cafes, walks on the promenade and much much more, this is your new home:D     

Good luck with everything.

Regards Sarah

hi south-africa is a lovely place. there is crime ja but so is there in the uk. if you keep away from trouble then trouble will stay away from you. where are you know. im in south-africa now after coming back from the uk. my contacts is theodore.jeptha@foto24.co.za

The cape area is better to live in yes. Try career junction for work depending on experience and qualifications you should be able to get a decent job look at big firms or those with an international presence