Visit to Panama

Hello

Want to visit Panama while in Costa Rica. Any suggestion on locations to visit, looking into possible retirement options. Own condo in Costa Rica and am looking at other areas.

What area should we avoid in Panama, we are not lookimg for tourist areas.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Clyde & Christy Vincent

Hello Clyde & Christy Vincent, your thread has been moved to Panama forum for better visibility.

Harmonie.:)

Hello Clyde and Christy,

It's difficult to answer your question without more personal info on likes and dislikes. The general things like crime, weather, location to mountains and/or beaches are a bit difficult here in Panama because of the diversity of this country. The highest crime places are the David, Panama City, and Colon areas, although crime has been going down since the new government started cracking down with a much better police force. Crime is not a concern normally in villages of less than 3 or 4,000. (My observation, NOT official. I've found that the towns with the least cantinas are the quietest and have less economic problems.)

Based on hearsay, there are more English speaking folks in CR,so you'll need enough Spanish to communicate in small villages. It's very rare to find an English speaking Panamanian in these areas, but it occasionally happens.

I really think it's best to just come over here and explore off the beaten track, talk to folks and get a "feel" for an area. There are some real treasures for foreigners that want to assimilate into the culture.

Do you have more specific requirements?

Thanks For the info.

This time we will most likely come down to Panama for a day or two, just to explore. We enjoy meeting the locals.

Question why did you decide to settle in Panama, if you do not mind me asking.

If more ocmformable to can reply to my e-mail [email protected].

Thanks
Clyde & Christy