Moving to the Maldives

Hello everyone,

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts about the idea of me, a British national, moving to live and work in the Maldives. The reason for this move from London is the desire for a complete change of environment. I love the Maldives, love the sea. My profession is Human Resources in hospitality, and figured it would not be too difficult getting a job as are loads of hotels and resorts there.

I'm originally from SE Asia, but have lived in UK for 25 years, so thought it might might be wonderful going back to the area as an ex-pat.

I'd need to do  lot of research on accommodation, work visas, etc, so any sort of information on my prospective move would be much appreciated. I have not started applying for jobs in the Maldives yet, but figured it might be easier if I'm actually in the country. Happy to try to learn the official language, Dhivehi if that will bump up my job prospects.

The position I will be seeking is one of managerial position in Human Resources for a hotel or resort.  My initial thoughts were to sort out a flat first (1 bedroom flat) probably in Male with good internet connection, then start in my earnest in my job hunt. Once I secure a job, I may need to move to the resort which is ideal. I hope the employer will also obtain a work visa for me. Or is this something I should obtain before I arrive?

Would really appreciate advice, opinions, suggestions, comments of any sort.

Lastly, I was thinking of moving in about 3-4 weeks time, early November.

Babli

Hi babli,

i am Honored to me at your service :)

Firstly its not difficult getting a HR jobs in maldives, we have plenty of resort coming up in the next few months to-years and they HR managers/directors are the first they recruit.

coming to Maldives without a job is probably not the best idea as the cost of living in male is quite high..it might not be as high as living in london, but pretty close.

an average 1 bedroom apartment if around 648$-972$ for a month.

and your other expenses it will cost you about 300$ if your thinking of having your meals at cafe's and bistros & restaurant.

as for the internet it will cost you about 10$ for 1GB allowance and is good for about 1 week if your a heavy user.

hence it will cost you roughly 1000$-1200$ for one month to live in the capital male.

you will be granted 1 month tourist visa on arrival, and is good for 30days.

do register at job-maldives.com they will send you daily updates on new jobs and they also have the biggest databse of vacancies.

best resorts to apply are,

W maldives
Huvafenfushi by Per Aquum
Niyama by Per aquum
soneva gili = Fushi
one&only reethi rah
banyan tree maldives
universal resorts

the best way to do a job hunt is by getting the contact info of each of the resort phone them and ask them to contact you to HR. and then ask if they have a vacancy.

this will work well.

if you need more info feel free to ask.

and good luck with your job hunt :)

cheers
mooch

Wow Mooch,

Thats terrific information, thank you very much.

I thought of applying for jobs before coming there, but then decided it would give me more credibility if I was actually there and available for an interview at short notice, and it would indicate that I am serious about working there. Not only that, it would give me time to get accustomed to the local area and culture before I dive into work. Thought I might even learn some Dhivehi - will that be useful?

I read somewhere that converting a tourist visa into a work one will be difficult, so I should apply for a work visa from the Ministry of Human Resources, Youth and Sport before I venture there. Though, if I find employment with a hotel resort beforehand, they would potentially apply for a visa for me. So lots of options and decisions here.

Thank you for the list of hotels, I shall have a look at their websites with a view to contacting them quite soon.

I assumed Male would be the best place to stay whilst on my job-hunt, but on hindsight perhaps one of the atolls with beauty surrounding me might be rather nice! Your opinion? I can support myself for a month or two (given your estimated expenditure account) before my first pay-check.

I appreciate the time and effort you have made to advice me :-)

Babli

Hi Babli,

Due to the location and technical difficulties, employers are left with no choice but to do with a telephone interview and this is the case 99% of the time.

learning dhivehi would be fun, unfortunately we do not have schools/private classes for expats teaching them dhivehi, again   almost all the maldivians can speak/understand english, more than 90% can communicate well and over 60% are fluent. and over 50% of the workforce are all expats.

getting a tourist visa converted to a work permit is not a defficult task, all you have to do is to leave maldives and re-enter as a expat it will cost you less than 200$s, all you have to do is t fly to srilanka, and come back the same day, the cheapest fair at present is at 176$s including all tax's, to fly to srilanka,

yes again if you find a job the company will be more than happy to buy you tickets to do that, otherwise you can ask the company to buy you a return ticket from your home country, and tavel back to london on your return ticket? this way you wont have to spend the 200$, but again you have to take 2x12hours flights compared to the 200$ you save this wont be worth it, as flight to srilanka is only 1 hour.

well, if your on a job hunt you have only 3 options, male-viligili-hulhumale, viligili is about 5-10 mins from male, hulhumale is about 20-30 mins from male by boat.

if you stay on either of the other two islands you will save a reasonable amount form the rent.

maximum you can stay in maldives with a tourist visa is 30days, then you have to fly out and come back again.

you cannot apply for a work permit(visa) this has to be done by your employer.

hope this helped :) feel free to ask more

cheers
mooch

Hi there,

i am about to accept job in one of the hotel resorts for 2years contract. I know that doga are. Problem to také with but is there any chance to get exception? I do not went to leade the dog for 2years with out me .

Thank you for any tip and advise

radka

Hi radka,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Just to inform you that this is a 2 years old topic. It's better to start a new one on the forum.

Thank you,
Christine