Building tax

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked and answered I wasn't able to find a good search function for the site.

They are asking for the condo owners in my building to pay building tax. I believe it's every two years it is to be paid.

Do they have the right to require condo owners to pay?

I asked some of the other tenants And one said that if you don't rent your unit out then you do not have to pay.

Another one flatly refused to pay and nothing of consequence happened.

I paid this before and it wasn't cheap. I really didn't know the rules but before I pay again. I want to know what is legally required.

I researched this online but didn't come up with any clear answers.

Can someone straighten me out? Thank you.

To search just click on the magnifying glass symbol at the top right on the header.

@scbrock

First off, I am not a condo owner, but...

If there is such a thing as a building tax on private condo owners or other property owners for that matter

I only have ever heard of an annual tax, payable in February, that has a minimum and maximum value of the property and with

the usual many exceptions referred to as land and building tax

Personally i have never been taxed nor ever paid such taxes and we, read the wife, owned a few properties at the same time.

So every 2 year definitely sounds a little off

@martinoo2002

There are a few things that Sound a little off on this subject. Such

as why didn't they tax me the first three years I was there?

I looked on my lease agreement, and it does mention that I am

responsible for building tax but it doesn't say how much.

I wonder if the tourist police would be a good resource for this.

@scbrock

Maybe.

But I think asking the details for the charge from the government, like a bill or something would be easier. Or asking the neighbor?

@martinoo2002

The neighbor may have some insight that I don't.

I don't get any bill from the government maybe that

makes it all the more sketchy. I pay the condo

management

@scbrock

Sketchy is mild opinion1f600.svg1f600.svg

If the bill.comes from building management there should be documentation approved by owners and thus clarification

Dig deeper

@martinoo2002

If by what you mean documentation approved by owners that sounds like the lease and I checked it.

It said I was responsible for building tax but it didn't give an amount or percentage.

It would be interesting to see if the condo management can justify what they are asking