Visa

Hi all,

I've had a look on the forum for similar related questions, but as you can appreciate when it comes to things like Visas everyone has different circumstances and answers can vary greatly. I am hoping someone could answer a few quick questions for me?

I have a friend who is a Mauritian national whom I met when I was at uni. He's invited me to move out to Mauritius which I've been seriously contemplating. The more I read the more I want to make the move.

I understand that as a UK national I don't require a visa per se, and a tourist visa lasts 3 months which can be extended for a further 3 once there on the proviso of having a return ticket. The thing is, I'm not planning on coming back to the UK after 6 months. I currently trade foreign currencies on the internet, making a healthy living from it. For the purposes of tax I am self employed. I am under the impression that for a business visa or a residency visa I have to have a business forecast and make a certain amount of money each year which I need to prove. I am not in a position to do this and will struggle to prove that I am self employed.

Can I stay for 6 months on a tourist visa, fly back to the UK for a few weeks and then start again on a tourist visa for another 6 months, does it work like that? Or, would it be easier to somehow get my friend to 'sponsor' me somehow, maybe say that I work for him... even though I wouldn't?

6 months is just no where near enough time for me, and I would love to live in Mauritus long term. If anyone could help me with this visa problem I'd be most appreciative. I have emailed the British Consulate, but typically British they are so ambiguous with their answer and it takes about 3 weeks just to get a reply.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

edit, I've just been doing some research on this and have come across an Occupation Permit which incorporates a residence permit with a work permit. Ideal solution, however I am now back to the main issue of: if i am self employed do I have to prove my past earnings for a certain period of time, or do the Immigration officials take your word for it that you can meet the requirements, which I believe to be around 600,000 Mauritian Rupees pa? I more than meet this requirement but have no proof of doing so.

Once again sorry for the all questions, my head is a blur at the minute!!

Hi shevlin,

yes the better solution for you is to register at the BOI as a self employed (600 000 rs per year). The BOI will then deliver you an occupation permit for 3 years.

You'll have a register your business at the company registrar in Port Louis and declare VAT (it's actually mandatory, it's interesting if your are doing business locally).

You won't have to show your past earnings.

Hope this helps,

Julien

Hi Julien,

thank you for the reply. Yes you're right, registering with the Board of Investment as a self employed worker and obtaining an Occupation Permit is the best route for me.

Am I right in thinking you are classed as self employed over there? If so what does registering at the Company Registrar in Port Louis entail? I'm not actually a company, more an independent freelance worker.

If anybody has gone through this process themselves I'd love to hear from you.

Chris

Yes I am a self employed, and I had to register my activity to the registrar of companies. Takes 10 minutes and 100 rs ;)

Hi Julien!

applying as a self-employed is a "personal" choice or is the boi that decides in a discretionary way if my activity is an investor one or a self-employed one? (I just know that the self-employed applicant should demonstrate his high professionality level)

I'd think the first case... and if so what "general" rules a self-employed should have to follow? For instance, I was told that as a self-employed I can not even have one worker/assistant... (so a doctor can't have his nurse, or a secretary??)

that's just the only difference I know between the Investor and the self-employed, a part from the different levels of turnover...

And by the way... don't you think that the difference between the asked turnover for the permanent permit and the 3 years one is very high?? As for applying for the permanent permit you should have earned 5 times more that what you are asked for the first permit...

Thanks so much!

Dear Blue and Shevlin

Julien is highly knowledgeable in the field, and is sharing his own experience.

Still, the Government of Mauritius is giving incentives for attracting foreign investors either individually or through partnership with locals.

Why not invest in some specific fields?

Kind regards

Vayid - [email protected]

blue22 > yes this is a personal choice.

No you won't be able to employ an assistant. I have a similar issue, I need to employ somebody but I can't. I'll have to create a Ltd company and ask for a new occupation permit, as investor

..... many thanks