Long term residency question

Hello!

I am currently in Bulgaria with a D Visa, and will now be applying for long-term residency.

I have most of the paperwork ready and translated.

My questions are: do I need to have my bank statement translated as well?

How much time does my bank statement need to cover? I am only able to access the last two months of bank statements.

And do I need to make an appointment or walk into immigration to submit the paperwork?

Thank you for your help

Give your bank statement to your lawyer( if you have one) - his/her assistants will deal with it. if you do not have a lawyer- google this: Migration Office Sofia - go there and ask them. I do not know the answer since I gave everything to my lawyer and she dealt with it.

All apostilles need to be translated and notarized in Bulgaria( if you have any apostilled documents).

I provided official letter written by the bank with my current balance. That was good enough. ( you can have your bank e-mail you one if you are in Bulgaria; I did go to the bank myself and got it before my arrival in Bulgaria.)

You do not need appointment- show up and get a number. They will call you.

It's pretty straightforward and fast. I did not wait more than 10 minutes. Good luck!

@PepitoFiesta

First, congratulations! :-) Good luck with your new life in Bulgaria.

Usually, the residence application needs the same documents you used to get your D visa.

As far as I'm aware, there is no category of D visa based on "financial means", except perhaps the investment options (around 300k euros if I recall correctly). So I doubt the bank statement is a big deal, although it's obviously good to have.

I don't translate bank statements, and I don't believe it's necessary. They're just looking at the numbers,

If you're trying to show an amount in savings, you just need one statement showing your current balance. If you're trying to show income over a period, then you'd need statements reflecting the period (and income) asked for.

If you have money abroad, a statement printed off the internet is probably OK. The best is a bank-stamped statement issued by your local branch of a Bulgarian bank.

For context, the minimum wage here is just under 500 euros per month. If you can show savings to cover you for at least a year (i.e. 6k euros) and/or a pension approaching (or exceeding) this amount, this should be more than enough.

Usually, immigration offices are first-come, first-served, with plenty of folks standing in line. I typically try to get there at (or, preferably before) opening time. When you go depends on your tolerance for standing in line vs. your aversion to early mornings. :-) My local office (Plovdiv) has a ticket system, and I'd imagine most offices have implemented something similar. This means as soon as you get through the door, you get to this machine and get your ticket for your particular service (e.g. residence applications by non-EU citizens). Then wait until your number comes up.

You can go on your own, but I highly recommend getting a local "helper" or taking an interpreter/translator with you. My local interpreter charges me 50 leva for an hour, so that's the ballpark cost.

These are busy offices, so there are typically support services nearby. Again, my local in Plovdiv, has a row of shops just outside the entrance where you can get documents copied, or get help with translation, etc. I'd guess this will be pretty typical wherever you apply.

By coincidence, I am in the process of making a new residence application (family reunification) and I went over to Plovdiv immigration yesterday. The copy shop guy was absolutely fantastic: he went through my full application and verified that I had all the required documents. He pointed out which documents needed copies and made them. He spotted that I'd used the wrong application form, and told me to go ask for the correct one... which he then filled in for me (in Bulgarian, as they prefer). He also took me to the other shop to speak with the registered translator in order to get an official translation of the document he said required translation (a birth certificate). I'd be very surprised if you couldn't do something similar wherever you are.

The Migration office that I mentioned is an agency that helps with paperwork ( not  the official Police Migration office which is a few steps away.)They also sell Medical Insurance, and help with questions. Since I used a lawyer I did not use them but I was told they are very helpful.A letter from US bank is sufficient- no need to get Bulgarian bank account. ( get only WISE). Keep your US bank account/s especially if everything is free and you are getting good interest rate.  Bulgarian banks are very predatory in regard to fees/interest rates.

If you apply in Sofia Police Migration Office there is not much wait at all.